2k Professional Install Reboots

G

Help. I have been attempting to load Windows 2000 on my Pc and it goes fine through the initial install... After formatting the Hard Drive and installing the system files the computer reboots and then procedes to the second part of the install. When I get to the screen that says we will now load some device drivers such as keyboard, mouse and you may see your screen flicker that's when my screen starts to flicker and then all of a sudden - BAM! the computer will shut down and reboot. It will continue to do this. My current setup is AthlonXP 1600, Soyo K7ADA, mx400 AGP, SoundBlaster live. Help!

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
I had the exact same problem. I also have the athlon XP1600+ and soundblaster live, ddr ram. It turned out that the chipset on thw motherboard had some issues with something. I changed motherboards to a VIA chipset and it installed no problem. This may not have helped you but at least it lets you know you're not alone.

G

Cool. Thanks. After removing everything and putting just an old PCI video card in there, I still had the same problems.... Threw the Windows XP Pro CD in there and BAM! No problem installed right up.... Strange. I really didn't want to upgrade to XP, but I guess I am going to have to live with it for a while. Thanks!

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
This is probably an old win2k problem.

I had similar problems installling 2k on a freind of mine's comp. I was installing the original win2k. Once I installed win2k with service pack 2 it worked just fine.

Check out the following link to see how to make a Win2k setup CD with service pack 2 already installed.

<A HREF="http://www.ntcompatible.com/faq232.shtml" target="_new">http://www.ntcompatible.com/faq232.shtml</A>

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BuGaLoU on 01/20/02 07:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>