[SOLVED] 2nd build components check

nonag

Reputable
May 11, 2020
Hi,

I'm slowly planning for a second build for work (multiple VMs, code dev, Matlab) and play with VR. I'm actually waiting for Amazon Prime Day and hopefully I can save then because it seems that prices are elevated right now. For this build I really want it to be a mini itx and aiming for Ryzen 3700x ( I had to start somewhere).

Please see the components below and advise. Are the mobo / cpu / ram matched up properly so get best performance? As for the GPU... I went with the cheapest 2070 SUPER but really looking for something that would hold its value the most in case I no longer need the system and decide to sell it.

Does the Ryzen 3700x pair well with the rtx 2070 super?
And I really would like to keep the stock cooler as long as I don't run into trouble. Yes I know... I have more variables that equations :)

Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bg6QCL

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($419.99 @ Walmart)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Case: NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1247.93

Solution
Your build has a 2060 super, not a 2070 super, you realize that yes? Because you say 2070 Super twice in your post, but the build has a 2060 super.

What kind of "work" are you doing that you need a high end gaming card for it?

If you're going to run the stock air cooler on the CPU then you'd better plan to add a couple of intake fans, because most reviews showing this case having decent cooling performance are using a radiator configured as intake with two fans. ONLY having the two included exhaust fans is not going to cut it with that hardware IMO.

I suspect also that the stock cooler is going to drive you absolutely nuts, because every Ryzen CPU I've done a build with so far, which includeds models using all three types of wraith...
Your build has a 2060 super, not a 2070 super, you realize that yes? Because you say 2070 Super twice in your post, but the build has a 2060 super.

What kind of "work" are you doing that you need a high end gaming card for it?

If you're going to run the stock air cooler on the CPU then you'd better plan to add a couple of intake fans, because most reviews showing this case having decent cooling performance are using a radiator configured as intake with two fans. ONLY having the two included exhaust fans is not going to cut it with that hardware IMO.

I suspect also that the stock cooler is going to drive you absolutely nuts, because every Ryzen CPU I've done a build with so far, which includeds models using all three types of wraith cooler, has done the same thing. Constant drone and hum that ramps up and down continuously, and under any kind of load is simply a constant irritant. If it were me, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of using the stock cooler. Every system owner I've called to come listen to the system on the bench, regardless of what kind of tuning was done to the fan profile, has instantly said almost the same thing, "I can't deal with that, replace it".

The rest, looks ok. I'm not sure I'd recommend the Aegis memory though. The Ripjaws are a much better choice for only a few dollars more, literally.

And as far as the graphics card is concerned, if you by that today, it's worth about 275 bucks tomorrow, because it's already a two year old technology AND the RTX 30 series cards have already been released, which, are MUCH more capable and are much less expensive per tier than Turing was by comparison. Also, the new Ryzen processors, Zen 3 5000 series are being announced on October 8 for a November or December (Supposedly) release. It might just make a lot of sense to simply wait on both the CPU and the graphics card, with more powerful options so close to release or actually, in the case of the Nvidia cards, already released but difficult to obtain. Stock on these is supposed to get much better over coming weeks.

Solution

nonag

Reputable
May 11, 2020
Yes I meant 2070 super. The work processing involves a lot of simulations on matlab / octave and running multiple debian VMs. Running C/C++ applications should not be a issue - I'm confident it will run just as fast on a 2.4GHz celeron processor from 20 years ago :)

The ryzen 3700x doesn't come with a graphics processor so I need a GPU and yes the 2070 is an overkill but I wanted to experience VR. I read somewhere that a 2080 ti is best for VR but that is way too much $$$ that I want to spend.
Maybe the GPU could be handy if I ended up doing AI stuff but that is not the aim right now.

For the cooling you mentioned radiator; are those the "water" cooled solutions you are referring to? That would be cool actually but do they ever leak? Last thing I would want to do it take apart the machine just to fill it with H2O.

I'm going to keep watch for the Ryzen 5000s and the newer GPUs. That should push the existing GPU prices down a bit. Thanks for the heads up.