2nd card, 2nd error

slargedevil

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
I had a radeon 9000 pro 128MB card before the one I have now. My games ran fine when I got it then they started shutting down after a few minutes. Then finally one day I restarted my comp and the monitor didn't come on. So I borrowed a Gforce4 mx440 from a friend and my computer worked again. After a week of gaming, it's starting to do the same thing again. I don't want the same thing to happen. Do any of you know what it may be? I started thinking that it might be my power suppy, it's a 420w, but maybe something blew inside and it's not running at full. I have a soyo dragon ultra platinum kt333 board. Also when I check the system monitor, it shows that the card is running at 1.77-1.79v when it should be 1.5. I don't overclock either.

I'd be thankful for any advice.

cleeve

Illustrious
That does sound like a power supply problem... if you can borrow one off a friend to try out, you might want to.

Could be bad memory too, or maybe the memory can't handle it if you have low latancies set. You might want to try increasing them in the bios.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
It would be so much less of a headache if most cases were designed to have up to 4 powersupplies installed. Getting a little of topic, it would be cool if Video cards would have their own separate dedicated powersupply so that switching powersupplies wouldn't have to be a issue of consideration just about everytime someone upgrades their video card.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
1.79v? Check you power supply voltages 3.3v, 5v and 12v and check your BIOS settings for AGP voltage. 1.79v is too far from the norm. If this was caused by your power supply then one of the other voltages should be wrong as well. AGP voltage is derived from one of these (don't know which one).

If AGP voltage is wrong all by itself then there is something wrong with the power regulation on your motherboard.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

cleeve

Illustrious
I believe video cards use the 5 volt rail... if memory serves.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks. I never was sure where the AGP signaling voltage(for AGP 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x) was derived.

For GPU and memory the video card manufacturer has all the options he wants as to where to draw power. 3.3v, 5v, and 12v are all available on the AGP connector though the amount of current is limited. This is why some of the new video cards use a separate power connector. However, I'm off topic. This has nothing to do with the AGP signaling voltage which seems to be incorrect for Slargedevil's motherboard.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>