MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Hi all. I have some computer upgrades coming in the near future and looking at my collection of old parts and parts that I'll soon be replacing, it occurs to me that I'll have enough stuff for a 2nd machine. The problem is that I don't know what to use it for. Any ideas?

Specs:
AMD A64 x2 4200+ socket 939
1gb ddr
Geforce 6800
60gb HD

I'd be putting ubuntu on it, since I can't justify buying a windows license for some purpose so non-essential I haven't even thought of it yet. The small HD probably limits its use as a server, but I'm not above upgrading that if someone comes up with a compelling enough reason.

Well, if you can't think of a use for it, I'd say why buy the electricity to run it? The uses I might have for a second machine are likely to require an additional Windows license, but Linux versions may be available:

1. Set up a Teamspeak server for your clan or guild.
2. Run one or more Folding clients
3. Store / stream your media collection
4. Download files on it; move the ones you like and that you've confirmed are safe to your primary system (or stream them, i.e. use #3).
5. Give it to a family member or even a friend who does not play current games

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006

Well, if I don't come up with a use for it then I won't plug it in. I just feel like I ought to be able to do something cool with a spare PC, and its specs still seem too good for the scrap heap. The main problem is that I can't think of anything that I can't already do on my main PC. TS is pretty light on the resources, F@H works pretty well on idle cycles and my primary box has a bigger HD that's better suited to media streaming. Maybe I'll just keep it around for those times when something explodes and I need to figure out what part broke.