[SOLVED] 2nd gpu fan making ticking/rattling noise and isnt spinning well

Jul 23, 2016
i got this gigabyte rx 580 and after some time , it noticed that the fan on the back starts making rattle noise . i check temps and they are in 71% at 100% load. the front fan is working perfectly but the 2nd one isnt. what happens at full load is that the front fan goes crazy speed and the back fan does the noise and spins slowly , i took the gpu off , pushed the fan a little bit backwards and when i plug it , the fan now spins a little then stop ,it repeats every 5 seconds .
what should i do , is there any simple fix?
should i unscrew the fan and oil it?

Solution
No "quick fixes" for worned fans I'm afraid. The bearings are probably failing. Your best chance is either oiling the bearings or replacing the fans.
You have several options when it comes to replacing the fans. Either you buy the original parts, which isn't even that expensive.. or you can try to do your own dirty mount of fans and plug the fan controls to the MB and control the fan speed from there.

You can actually improve your cooling on the GPU with a homemade fix if you have the room in the case for it:

Lutfij

Titan
If your card is yet within warranty period, you might want to bring Gigabyte and your seller into the loop(via an email with a video) and explain the situation if you do indeed go for an RMA. If you're well outside of warranty, you might want to look for a replacement fan(not cooler) off of Ebay or Aliexpress.

If you can't find a replacement fan, then the next best option is to get an aftermarket cooler for the GPU.

Jul 23, 2016
If your card is yet within warranty period, you might want to bring Gigabyte and your seller into the loop(via an email with a video) and explain the situation if you do indeed go for an RMA. If you're well outside of warranty, you might want to look for a replacement fan(not cooler) off of Ebay or Aliexpress.

If you can't find a replacement fan, then the next best option is to get an aftermarket cooler for the GPU.
the card was in a used state. i talked to the seller to test the card and i didn't notice anything wrong until after 2 hrs the card started to tick while gaming. so i requested to return it and i returned it today. i opened a thread here to check for a quick fix for it cz i didnt want to return it since i was happy with its performance and cant buy something new right now ( country is in a protest and the usd here is expensive) so illl guess ill wait until things get better

Mahisse

Distinguished
No "quick fixes" for worned fans I'm afraid. The bearings are probably failing. Your best chance is either oiling the bearings or replacing the fans.
You have several options when it comes to replacing the fans. Either you buy the original parts, which isn't even that expensive.. or you can try to do your own dirty mount of fans and plug the fan controls to the MB and control the fan speed from there.

You can actually improve your cooling on the GPU with a homemade fix if you have the room in the case for it:

Solution