2nd hard drive

Mike

Splendid
Apr 1, 2004
3,869
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

A friend asked me to read a hard drive they had in their
Windows 98 machine. I installed it as a slave in my XP
box. The bios sees the drive as a slave however, the
drive does not appear in either Explorer or in Disk
Manager.

Please advise
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Make sure that the jumper is set to slave or set both drives to cable
select. You could also try it as Master
on your Secondary IDE channel temporarily.
"Mike" <lynx@belsouth.net> wrote in message
news:14df101c445ae$6b62ce40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> A friend asked me to read a hard drive they had in their
> Windows 98 machine. I installed it as a slave in my XP
> box. The bios sees the drive as a slave however, the
> drive does not appear in either Explorer or in Disk
> Manager.
>
> Please advise
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Right click on My Computer, select Manage.

On the following screen, click on Disk Management and you'll see the new
drive on tbe right hand side of the screen.

Assign it a drive letter.
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

"Mike" <lynx@belsouth.net> wrote in message
news:14df101c445ae$6b62ce40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> A friend asked me to read a hard drive they had in their
> Windows 98 machine. I installed it as a slave in my XP
> box. The bios sees the drive as a slave however, the
> drive does not appear in either Explorer or in Disk
> Manager.
>
> Please advise
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The drive shows in the bios but not in the Disk Manager

>-----Original Message-----
>Right click on My Computer, select Manage.
>
>On the following screen, click on Disk Management and
you'll see the new
>drive on tbe right hand side of the screen.
>
>Assign it a drive letter.
>--
>Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging &
Hardware)
>www.coribright.com
>
>"Mike" <lynx@belsouth.net> wrote in message
>news:14df101c445ae$6b62ce40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> A friend asked me to read a hard drive they had in
their
>> Windows 98 machine. I installed it as a slave in my XP
>> box. The bios sees the drive as a slave however, the
>> drive does not appear in either Explorer or in Disk
>> Manager.
>>
>> Please advise
>
>
>.
>
 

Mike

Splendid
Apr 1, 2004
3,869
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have tried various jumper settings. I have tried to set it as the secondary master. I've tried to set it as the slave. In all cases, the bios will see the drive but windows will not recognize the drive in Explorer or in Disk Manager.

Any other suggestions??
 

papa

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
512
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Maybe your friend removed the partitions. If he/she did, then that hard
drive cannot be recognized in a windows or dos environment.

"Mike" <lynx@belsouth.net> wrote in message
news:14df101c445ae$6b62ce40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> A friend asked me to read a hard drive they had in their
> Windows 98 machine. I installed it as a slave in my XP
> box. The bios sees the drive as a slave however, the
> drive does not appear in either Explorer or in Disk
> Manager.
>
> Please advise
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Mike" <lynx@belsouth.net> wrote in message
news:14df101c445ae$6b62ce40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> A friend asked me to read a hard drive they had in their
> Windows 98 machine. I installed it as a slave in my XP
> box. The bios sees the drive as a slave however, the
> drive does not appear in either Explorer or in Disk
> Manager.
>
> Please advise

Find out if they ever used a drive overlay like EZ Bios or something
similar. If they did, the only way you're going to be able to read the data
is to remove the overly. In which case they may not be able to read the
drive in their computer afterward.
 

Mike

Splendid
Apr 1, 2004
3,869
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I don't think so (at least not intentionally). They claimed that their computer died. They bought a new computer and we are trying to recover the data from this drive to put into the new computer.
 

Mike

Splendid
Apr 1, 2004
3,869
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

How can I determine this. They will not neet to re-instal the drive. They bought a new computer and we are trying to recover the data from this drive to put into the new computer.
 

papa

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
512
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Computer owners are sometimes forced to use an overlay program to gain
access to the full capacity of a hard drive because the BIOS is not able to
handle larger capacities. This situation usually occurs with older PCs when
an attempt is made to install a newer vintage hard drive.

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:78D4F183-4C81-41E0-90C2-7A096EFC6FF1@microsoft.com...
> How can I determine this. They will not neet to re-instal the drive. They
bought a new computer and we are trying to recover the data from this drive
to put into the new computer.
>
>
 

papa

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
512
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Unintentional" often happens, especially when the user doesn't really know
what he/she is doing. I wouldn't just dismiss that possibility.

If that is what actually happened, you might as well consider the data gone.
There are ways to retrieve it (if the HD has not been used since then), but
not by any simple or inexpensive method.

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C703C37B-B06D-43E4-97D3-66821D64C8A1@microsoft.com...
> I don't think so (at least not intentionally). They claimed that their
computer died. They bought a new computer and we are trying to recover the
data from this drive to put into the new computer.
 

Similar threads


TRENDING THREADS