Question 2nd Internal Hard Drive Not Detected After W10 1809 Update

trevork99

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

This problem just came up today and it is frustrating me to no end. I have a custom-built computer with an ROG Maximus X Hero WiFi MOBO and two drives: A Samsung Evo SSD and a WD Black 2tb HD. I upgraded to Windows 10 build 1809, and now the WD Black is no longer being recognized by either Windows or the BIOS. How the hell did this happen, and how can I fix this?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
But how would reseating with different cables help? The drive worked perfectly fine before the update.

There's an AND in the middle. Unplug then reseat the cables AND try with different cables.

Yes a software update doesn't affect the drive physically but you never know. A somehow loose header or cable connection might become problematic at any given time.

I've even seem drives showing CRC errors in SMART or Windows utility showing drives as 'dirty' with problematic files and indexes because of an apparently OK SATA data cable header. Changing the cable solved the problem.

The working drive suddenly not being recognized in BIOS could mean it's not getting powered on or not communicating with the SATA controller. Anyway it wouldn't hurt to check cables and connections.

godlysoup

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
There's an AND in the middle. Unplug then reseat the cables AND try with different cables.

Yes a software update doesn't affect the drive physically but you never know. A somehow loose header or cable connection might become problematic at any given time.

I've even seem drives showing CRC errors in SMART or Windows utility showing drives as 'dirty' with problematic files and indexes because of an apparently OK SATA data cable header. Changing the cable solved the problem.

The working drive suddenly not being recognized in BIOS could mean it's not getting powered on or not communicating with the SATA controller. Anyway it wouldn't hurt to check cables and connections.

Bump what this guy said. If it doesn't show up in the BIOS, usually a hardware issue. Also, if reseeding doesn't work, I would take the drive out and see if you can plug it into a different computer or via USB to test it.