[SOLVED] 2nd internal harddisk disconnects and connects automatically

sanjayCGA

Prominent
Mar 29, 2020
hi

i have 2 internal hdd.while am using 1st hdd, like copying some files from 1st hdd to 2nd or installing apps on my 1st hdd.or playing games which i installed on 2nd hdd.it disconnects and connects.

i changed power and sata cables. i have changed power managment sleep mode to never. nothing works.

please help me

i am using for realflow simulation purpose mainly.

Thank you

Solution
There, you self-solved it. :)

Replace with another $100-$110 drive ASAP..
Such retarded advice. :rolleyes:

There is just a much a chance there is nothing wrong with the drive and there's a cabling/port issue. The simplest way I would diagnose this is to swap the power and sata ports and cables between drive 1 and drive 2. If drive 1 starts disappearing (and probably crashing the computer), then it's the sata port/cable and not the drive.

The other thing you can do is remove your internal second drive and put it in an external enclosure or dock and run it that way and see if you still have issues. If not, then you've solved it.

Because if you buy a new drive and then have the same problem, you never solved the issue in the...
If you have any very important data stored on the second harddrive, as a precaution it would probably be an idea to make a backup. What you describe could potentially be signs of a failing harddrive.

I'm not saying it definately is what is happening, but you could prepare yourself for that possibility by securing any important files

In order to recieve useful and relevant advice, you could provide more details, so people are not just speculating.

What drives du you have? What is the age of the drives? What SATA ports are they connected to?

What motherboard do you have?

What is the operating system?

Besides new cables, did you try different SATA ports to rule out a possible faulty SATA port?

Did you look at disk health using Crystal Disk Info or similar

The more information available, the better the chance for quick solution to the problem

Last edited:

sanjayCGA

Prominent
Mar 29, 2020
What drives du you have?

seagate barracuda

What is the age of the drives?
4 yrs

What motherboard do you have?

asus z97k

What is the operating system?

windows 10 pro n

Besides new cables, did you try different SATA ports to rule out a possible faulty SATA port?

yes

Did you look at disk health using Crystal Disk Info or similar

i dont know about this (Crystal Disk Info)...but i have installed it now and just started test...hdd got disconnected and connected back.

There, you self-solved it. :)

Replace with another $100-$110 drive ASAP..
Such retarded advice. :rolleyes:

There is just a much a chance there is nothing wrong with the drive and there's a cabling/port issue. The simplest way I would diagnose this is to swap the power and sata ports and cables between drive 1 and drive 2. If drive 1 starts disappearing (and probably crashing the computer), then it's the sata port/cable and not the drive.

The other thing you can do is remove your internal second drive and put it in an external enclosure or dock and run it that way and see if you still have issues. If not, then you've solved it.

Because if you buy a new drive and then have the same problem, you never solved the issue in the first place. ;)

Solution
Based on the troubleshooting OP has already done, such as trying different cables and ports, I still think it is a potentially failing drive.

Something you could try, if you haven't already, is to repair / reinstall / update chipset and Intel SATA drivers.

I don't think it will make much difference, but at least it is free, and something that can be crossed off the list of things to try, before deciding if a new drive is the best option