2nd Internal HD not detected after re-install

OldFangle

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Hi
Previously I installed Windows 7 Home and then upgraded to Pro. After a file corrupted which I couldn't fix I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro.
This didn't install on the original C: Drive, it installed itself on the other internal HD. Now the OS calls this the C: Drive and the original HD isn't detected.
I've considered swapping the cables between the two hard drives. If I do that, can I configure everything in BIOS alone, or would I need to configure the pins on the hard drives? ( I haven't done that before so I'd need a clear walk-through.)
Is there any other way to get the computer/OS to detect and access the HD that had been the C: Drive?

Solution
Go to your Start menu. Right click on "Computer". Select "Manage". This will open the Computer Management Console. Click on the 'plus sign' next to "Storage" and select "Disk Management". This should bring up a list of all storage devices on your system. Check to see if both hard drives are here AND THAT THEY BOTH HAVE DRIVE LETTERS ASSIGNED TO THEM. If one does not have a drive letter, right click on the drive and select "Change Drive Letter & Path". I believe that the rest is self explanatory.

Good luck!

Yogi
Go to your Start menu. Right click on "Computer". Select "Manage". This will open the Computer Management Console. Click on the 'plus sign' next to "Storage" and select "Disk Management". This should bring up a list of all storage devices on your system. Check to see if both hard drives are here AND THAT THEY BOTH HAVE DRIVE LETTERS ASSIGNED TO THEM. If one does not have a drive letter, right click on the drive and select "Change Drive Letter & Path". I believe that the rest is self explanatory.

Good luck!

Yogi

Solution

OldFangle

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Solved: The only way to get the computer to detect the second internal hard drive was to exchange the cables.
Nothing special needed to be done with the PINs.
On the next boot-up the second drive was visible once more.