Question 2nd Matrox M9140 in HP Z800 workstation

Mar 8, 2021
Hi,

I am new to the forum and wondered if someone could help with a technical query?

My HPZ800 has a Nvidea FX4800 in slot 2 and a Matrox M9140 Quad Powerdesk Graphics Card Pcie 16x in slot 5. Both work ok.

When I insert a third Matrox GPU in any of the other slots it's not recognized in Window 10 device manager. Could you please tell me if and how a third card can be configured, alternatively two Matrox M9140s.

I tried with just two Matrox M9140s, but again they aren't recognized. Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks for your time.

Regards
John

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I think the issue is not in the OS, the issue might be with the device itself or the slot you're trying to populate. Have you taken the Matrox cards and tested them out one by one(standalone)? Did you source the drivers for the Matrox cards, from here? Did you try installing the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your HP workstation?

Mar 8, 2021
Hello @ Lutfij

Thank you for your response.

All cards used were tested as working. Each Matrox card was tested in each slot.

When one Matrox M9140 card is installed (Slot 2) without an HP Nvidia supported card, Windows 10 Professional hangs and throws BSOD error.

When an Nvidia FX4800 is installed and the Matrox M9140 is installed, Windows 10 recognizes the Matrox card, driver and display outputs function.

The system, with latest Bios and O/S win 10 pro runs with six displays attached, four outputs from the M9140 and two from the FX4800. I’d like to understand why it cannot currently boot with one Matrox card, or operate with two Matrox M9140 cards, or three including the FX4800.

DDU was used to remove Nvidia driver prior to installation of the FX4800. #SERR and option ROM are both disabled in the bios.

I have tested both the Matrox and single FX4800 cards and cables as working.

The Matrox website indicates that one or more Cards are supported with the correct driver we have installed: 5.02.10.026 WDDM

HP did not list the Matrox card as supported, but the Vizrt.com article: https://docs.vizrt.com/viz-engine-guide/3.5/cardinstallations_hp_z800_installations.html showed that Matrox cards could be used, though I don’t think the model number was listed in the article.

I’m seeking expert knowledge here as there don’t seem to be many online references to similar instances with these hardware and software configurations.

Many thanks for your input.

Best wishes

John Scott