[SOLVED] 2nd modem in the house

May 8, 2020
I had to move in to my parents house while closing on a house. There modem was up stairs and I am currently on the bottom floor and it is way to far away to run an ether net cable to my PC. I will be here for like 7 days. I plugged my modem an arris surfboard down stairs so I can hook my pc up. so far everything works great. They are still getting internet from their modem and mine is providing me with internet access. Will this set up cause any disruptions or is it fine?

Solution
That is very surprising it works since normally the cable provider must activate a modem on their system. It prevents people from going to the store buying a modem and then going outside and connecting up to the coax cable in the street and getting internet for free.

Then again if you are paying to have the second modem the ISP can not really tell exactly where it is located. Most times they will not activate 2 at the same address but it really is not any different than a modem in your neighbors house. The coax wire all connects together out in the street and everyone shares a pool of bandwidth.
That is very surprising it works since normally the cable provider must activate a modem on their system. It prevents people from going to the store buying a modem and then going outside and connecting up to the coax cable in the street and getting internet for free.

Then again if you are paying to have the second modem the ISP can not really tell exactly where it is located. Most times they will not activate 2 at the same address but it really is not any different than a modem in your neighbors house. The coax wire all connects together out in the street and everyone shares a pool of bandwidth.

Solution
May 8, 2020

That's what I was thinking but I just plugged it in and it worked. My parents and I both used Comcast so maybe that's why it is working?