[SOLVED] 2nd monitor boots up to windows logo when first monitor is unplugged but then goes back to no signal

Dec 9, 2020
I recently got an RX 5600 XT and when installed my first monitor works fine with it. But my 2nd monitor is DVI so I'm using a DVI to display port adapter. It was working for a bit until I updated my drivers but then after that, it did not work. So I tried reverting to the old driver that had it working and it still didn't work.

After trying some things I noticed that if I unplugged my first monitor the 2nd monitor would actually have a signal if I were to restart my pc. But it would only boot up to the windows logo and then go back to no signal. So I don't know what's wrong.

Also, the monitor getting a signal for a bit only works when I plug it into a certain display port. When plugged into the other display ports it does not get a signal at all.

Ralston18

Titan
"Also, the monitor getting a signal for a bit only works when I plug it into a certain display port. When plugged into the other display ports it does not get a signal at all. "

Methodically test the displays ports with known working DP cables and monitors.

No adapters unless you can likewise determine that the DVI to DP adapter is working.

If the testing proves that some of the display ports are simply not working then RMA the RX5600 XT.

Reactions: Ghostsquad66
Dec 9, 2020
"Also, the monitor getting a signal for a bit only works when I plug it into a certain display port. When plugged into the other display ports it does not get a signal at all. "

Methodically test the displays ports with known working DP cables and monitors.

No adapters unless you can likewise determine that the DVI to DP adapter is working.

If the testing proves that some of the display ports are simply not working then RMA the RX5600 XT.
Would I just be able to test it with an Active Display port to HDMI adapter? because I don't have any Display Port monitors

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

Try the Active Display port to HDMI adapter video connection. If two of the three DP ports work and the third does not then the third ("certain") DP port would be faulty. That would certainly be clear.

But if all three DP ports fail you cannot really know if it is the GPU/Display ports or the Active Display port to HDMI adapter configuration causing the failure.

Going back a step, if DP to DVI adapter is also failing then the common point of failure is the Display ports.

Try the testing and post the results.

We can work from there.....

Reactions: Ghostsquad66
Dec 9, 2020
Yes.

Try the Active Display port to HDMI adapter video connection. If two of the three DP ports work and the third does not then the third ("certain") DP port would be faulty. That would certainly be clear.

But if all three DP ports fail you cannot really know if it is the GPU/Display ports or the Active Display port to HDMI adapter configuration causing the failure.

Going back a step, if DP to DVI adapter is also failing then the common point of failure is the Display ports.

Try the testing and post the results.

We can work from there.....
I have another question, I did some research and it appears that getting an Active Display Port to DVI Adapter is better and I'm pretty sure the one I have is passive. So can the adapter being passive be the cause of this?