2nd Monitor makes a buzzing sound and displays for about 2 seconds then goes blank?

GeordieMagic

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Hi guys,

I was playing DA:I last night and suddenly my second monitor just went black, the monitor wasn't displaying anything at the time (apart from the my desktop) as I only like using one display for games. I just assumed it was a driver issue and thought nothing else of it.

However it seems I'm still having the problem. When I turn the monitor on and off on the monitor, the screen comes on and displays for about 1-2 seconds, with a buzzing sound and then it goes black, the monitor light is blue which means the display is registering as connected. My display properties, device manager and graphic driver can all see the second monitor.

When I change any settings for the monitor it does the same as before and comes on for 1-2 seconds and then literally buzzes off.

I'm all up-to-date driver wise, I've checked that my display connections are solid and I've switched them round to make sure its not the ports, I've used new cables and adapters also.

Was wondering if anyone has come across this before? I've never had a monitor actually brake down on me before I normally just upgrade them and hand them on in working order.

The monitor in question ASUS VW192s (old I know! but its a second display for work purposes) I'm on Win 8.1 Pro.

Hope its not broken as I may have to sue Bioware :)

Cheers,
Geord.

Solution
Sounds like it popped a capacitor. It is just one of those things that happens sometimes when they get older.
Although it is possible to replace them, it involves disassembling the monitor which is usually pretty difficult as well as soldering.
Also there is high voltage inside which could be a shock risk if you are not careful (although not as bad as CRTs)
Sounds like it popped a capacitor. It is just one of those things that happens sometimes when they get older.
Although it is possible to replace them, it involves disassembling the monitor which is usually pretty difficult as well as soldering.
Also there is high voltage inside which could be a shock risk if you are not careful (although not as bad as CRTs)

Solution

GeordieMagic

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

ah heck that nonsense! :) .... new monitor it is....I think I've had about 6 Monitors in about 16 years and this is the first one I've had that has actually broken....I will have to get a new one then. I bet they don't make them like they used too, with a 12inch screen and a foot long back end :D

TRENDING THREADS