[SOLVED] 2nd monitor randomly decided to stop working

JohnR1987

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
I was running two monitors on Windows 8.1 with no issues until I moved house - since then the second monitor simply isn't being detected.

First time around all I had to do was connect my second monitor (an Iiyama Prolite) to my primary monitor (BenQ Zowie XL LCD) via an HDMI cable and it detected it straight away. For whatever reason since moving, it isn't detecting a signal.

I've tested that the second monitor and the HDMI cable still works (they do), and also tried connecting the two monitors with a VGA cable, but still no joy.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here...

Solution
"First time around all I had to do was connect my second monitor (an Iiyama Prolite) to my primary monitor (BenQ Zowie XL LCD) via an HDMI cable"

You are supposed to connect both monitors to the graphics card, not connect them to each other.

JohnR1987

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
"First time around all I had to do was connect my second monitor (an Iiyama Prolite) to my primary monitor (BenQ Zowie XL LCD) via an HDMI cable"

You are supposed to connect both monitors to the graphics card, not connect them to each other.

Well, what a nob.

Although weirdly that had worked before...

Thanks Phillip.