Question 2nd Monitor Won't Work

Aug 3, 2019
So my new HP Pavilion computer has an HDMI and a VGA input. I have 2 identical Samsung 32CF397 monitors.

I cannot get the VGA to HDMI adapter monitor to display anything. The cable is brand new. I purchased it today.

Whenever I try to extend the monitors in Windows 10, all of the settings are shown on the monitor with VGA, and I can't see them so it reverts back.

The Intel Graphics 630 recognizes the 2 monitors, and was set to extend the monitors. If I swap HDMI cables, it swaps which monitor displays. Both display separately on their own, but not together.

Any insight of how to get both monitors working is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019
As an update to this, I purchased a micro USB cable as the VGA to HDMI adapter I purchased had a space for this, but did not come with one. I thought the dongle wasn't powered. Turns out that doesn't provide power to the second monitor either.

The computer supports 2 monitors (It openly advertises this), all the settings have been made for it to extend the displays, but it's like the second monitor isn't getting any power.

Does anyone have a recommendation of what kind of adapter I might actually need? For the setup, it needs to be a VGA male to HDMI female adapter.