[SOLVED] 2nd Motherboard slot not working?

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Hi, I recently bought an Avexir 16 gb (8GB*2) Ram kit DDR4 @3200 mhz. The thing is, it doesn't boot up when both rams are placed. It also won't boot up when an XMP profile is selected. I can't turn the speed from 2666mhz (default) to 3200mhz cause it won't boot. I also noticed that the rgb lights of the rams die after a minute or two.
I tried placing either of the rams on the first slot, it works fine and I can run it on 3200mhz.

Sometimes, I can boot the pc on 16 gb only @ 2666mhz but its very rare to boot using both rams, and if I do, I get a blue screen while playing some games.

On the 2nd ram slot however, no rams are booting. I also tested other spare DDR4 rams I have and none of them are booting on the 2nd slot.

Here's my build:
Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 gaming pro (2 slots)
GTX 1070
Kingston 480G SSD
Corsair CV 550 80+ Bronze.

Do I have a busted 2nd ram slot ?
Or is it just incompatible rams?

Solution
Oh wow. Same. I have the same GPU but its the Ti model and its a Zotac.
It doesnt sound like your graphics card as you keep it up to date.
Hey but streaming does require alot more power than not streaming. Because it has to run the game and broadcast it to hundreds of people on twitch. That puts a heck ton of stress on the CPU Try turning your games settings down as that may help with the lag/crashing also check to see if the game has an FPS limiter. Set it to about 60/75 and itll run great. Thats what i do with my 1070Ti and i dont get alot of lag. I run games like planet coaster/beam.ng drive Really CPU intensive games Also make sure you have the right driver. I recommend nvidias Game ready Geforce drivers. Also i recommend getting...
Aug 22, 2020
How are you running it? Are you only using a single ram stick in the 2nd socket? Remember. It will only boot in the 2nd socket if you have both sticks inserted tightly. Some tips to try,
Make sure your first ram socket is inserted and the socket is locked.
Make sure that your ram compacity and speed matches. Otherwise it can bottleneck another stick of ram while another stick runs properly.

Reactions: Ahazuerus

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
How are you running it? Are you only using a single ram stick in the 2nd socket? Remember. It will only boot in the 2nd socket if you have both sticks inserted tightly. Some tips to try,
Make sure your first ram socket is inserted and the socket is locked.
Make sure that your ram compacity and speed matches. Otherwise it can bottleneck another stick of ram while another stick runs properly.
Yes, I tried only using the 2nd socket, and the first one empty. Does the 2nd socket only works if and only if socket 1 has ram inserted in it?

But later on I tried inserting both of them, and it's a ram kit so they should be working in pair right?
But the computer won't boot . And even if it did, I'm having BSOD whenever I play heavy games like Call of duty. Any further thoughts? Thanks !

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Could be a BIOS update issue. BIOS updates adds "Memory Compatibility".

Version
7A39v2L

Release Date
2019-01-28

Description
  • Improve memory compatibility. <-------
  • Improve compatibility with Bristol CPU.
Yes, I have recently updated the BIOS to 7A39v2L. Still having the same problem.
I'm thinking if this is a memory compatibility issue with the motherboard?

Aug 22, 2020
Yeah. Socket 2 only works unless there is ram inserted in socket 1. Basically when you try to run socket 2 without putting ram in socket 1 the board trys to boot both ram sockets but fails because socket 1 has no ram. Also how muchr am are you trying to put inside the system? You need 8GB or more to play games.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Yeah. Socket 2 only works unless there is ram inserted in socket 1. Basically when you try to run socket 2 without putting ram in socket 1 the board trys to boot both ram sockets but fails because socket 1 has no ram. Also how muchr am are you trying to put inside the system? You need 8GB or more to play games.
I see, I understand now. So that doesn't mean the 2nd slot is not working. I'm trying to put up a total of 16gb of ram (8gb*2) .

But why is it on hardware reserve tho if I put both rams in the first and second slot?
The only usable is 8gb and the other 8 is "hardware reserve" . Is it Compatibility issue?

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Yes , I was somehow able to boot into BIOS and get into windows using 16gb but only on 2666mhz.

The thing is , it's going on BSOD whenever I play some games , sometimes games crashes as well. This only happen on dual channel.

Reactions: Freeshivacado
Aug 22, 2020
It may be your GPU. What is your GPU model? Also what kind of games are you trying to run? Did you update your graphics drivers? And the motherboard is designed to run ram at a speed where it wont damage the cpu over time. Thats actually why your not really supposed to use an XMP profile because while sure you can get it to run at what the factory says it does but thats not really healthy for your CPU. In fact AMD will actually void your warranty if you use a XMP profile. BTW What is the error code on the BSOD (Blue screen of death) Sometimes its also called a STOP CODE When it goes into BSOD i need you to take a picture of the code and then tell me what is the code. That can actually tell me whats wrong with it and i can help you further. Thanks for reading and i hope i can fix your issue and get you back to gaming as soon as possible.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
[/QUOTE]
It may be your GPU. What is your GPU model? Also what kind of games are you trying to run? Did you update your graphics drivers? And the motherboard is designed to run ram at a speed where it wont damage the cpu over time. Thats actually why your not really supposed to use an XMP profile because while sure you can get it to run at what the factory says it does but thats not really healthy for your CPU. In fact AMD will actually void your warranty if you use a XMP profile. BTW What is the error code on the BSOD (Blue screen of death) Sometimes its also called a STOP CODE When it goes into BSOD i need you to take a picture of the code and then tell me what is the code. That can actually tell me whats wrong with it and i can help you further. Thanks for reading and i hope i can fix your issue and get you back to gaming as soon as possible.

Thank you as well for helping me out, I really appreciate your help sir!

My GPU is Palit GTX 1070. Yes, I regularly check updates on Nvidia and the graphics driver is up to date. BSOD usually happens when I play battle royal games such as spell break and Warzone. Valorant crashes back to windows when I stream using OBS but without stream, valorant is just fine. This all happen when I'm using it on dual channel. I'll post up the BSOD code as soon as I can . Thank you

Aug 22, 2020
Oh wow. Same. I have the same GPU but its the Ti model and its a Zotac.
It doesnt sound like your graphics card as you keep it up to date.
Hey but streaming does require alot more power than not streaming. Because it has to run the game and broadcast it to hundreds of people on twitch. That puts a heck ton of stress on the CPU Try turning your games settings down as that may help with the lag/crashing also check to see if the game has an FPS limiter. Set it to about 60/75 and itll run great. Thats what i do with my 1070Ti and i dont get alot of lag. I run games like planet coaster/beam.ng drive Really CPU intensive games Also make sure you have the right driver. I recommend nvidias Game ready Geforce drivers. Also i recommend getting Geforce experience from nvidia because it notifys you about new drivers and updates. Also what CPU do you have?

Solution