Question 2nd partition won't boot

69Rixter

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
I put a Linux O.S. on the 2nd partition of a pendrive. "Flag" is marked to boot. It doesn't boot from pendrive. First partition is not marked for boot. I'm guessing I must make the 1st partition the one w/ O.S.?
[San disk Cruzer Glide 3.0 256Gb pendrive~~1st partition- 200GB(136Gb used) ntfs , 2nd partition - 33.5 Gb (8Gb used) flagged to boot- ext.3] Thoughts, ideas?

TNX:

:devilish:RICK

And if YOU were to read the guide, you'd see that you need to REINSTALL it because you installed it wrong. Following directions isn't terribly difficult. Any secondary partitions need to be created AFTER you install the OS, and that stands for pretty much ANY OS you want to install.

Wipe the drive, reinstall Linux, and then if you NEED to have a second partition on there, create it after you test that the drive actually boots. You will probably also have to set that drive as the primary bootable device in the BIOS or at least AS a bootable device, and disconnect any bootable device that is higher in the list when trying to boot to that device.

69Rixter

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
RE: DarkBreeze

So, your agreeing that I must put the O.S. on the first partition. And I see I neglected 2 important pieces of info in the starting thread...the O.S. was an "install"...not live! and the partition (part.2) is marked active. I'm well aware of the steps required in making a 'live" pendrive, which is what the link is instructing. I "installed" the LM 19.1X using the install from/built-into that particular O.S. Now, I'm not going to spend too much time on getting the second part. to boot up. If I don't find the answer I'm seeking, I'll just 'move" the install to the first partition. If that doesn't work, then I'll use one of my many other pendrives (16Gb or larger) and just install to it. TNX