Build Advice 2nd PC for streaming (Need help with parts)

Andrew Krosley

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Approximate Purchase Date: Don't have one

Budget Range:
Looking for the cheapest option, but I also am willing to buy whatever would work best

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Streaming/recording

Are you buying a monitor:
No

Parts to Upgrade: Options to Upgrade (CPU, GPU, or add graphics card)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I don't have a preference

Parts Preferences: Don't have a preference

Overclocking:maybe

SLI or Crossfire:
No

Additional Comments: I have a old i3 530 in a system, I've tested streaming on OBS using ndi and its pixelated and sometimes choppy at 720 30fp, and 60fps. Im wondering on if I add a graphics card, or even a capture card, would that solve the problem? Or should I just ditch the i3 and buy a new processor?

My gaming PC specs: Ryzen 5 2600, RX 570 8gb, ssd 120, 1tb HDD, 8gb of ram, MSI A320, OS Windows 10 Home
2nd Streaming PC: I3 530, 4gbs of ram 2gbs of ram usable, 500gb HD, windows 10 home

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Budget Range: Looking for the cheapest option, but I also am willing to buy whatever would work best

We're still going to need some boundaries with your budget.

You forgot to mention the app's you're going to use for streaming/recording and the sort of resolution/detail you'd like to record in. Is it for recording gameplay or recording gameplay and streaming?

With regards to your i3 system as a test machine, you could get away with a concurrent APU rig or one with an Intel and run off the iGPU. I'm stating a concurrent build as opposed to investing parts on your current i3 rig will be the same as buying a new rig although the difference is that you're not left dealing with a near 2 decade old machine/performance.

Andrew Krosley

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Hi thanks for the reply!! I will be using OBS or streamlabs whichever one uses less CPU usage depending on the upgrade or parts I get. Im looking to stream at 1080p 60fps or even 720 60fps. I found a nvidia msi n770 2gb graphics card for 2gb do you think that would be good enough ? Because I know that NVidia encoder uses both the cpu and graphics card if you choose the GPU's encoder in OBS.

Overview: So do you think I should go for a amd apu? Or even a newer intel proccessor and use x264? Or should I get a capture card, or keep the same system and get a graphics card?

Pros for a APU and new proccessor (for what I see): I can use x264 which is faster, but the graphics quality might slack but the stream will be smooth. As well I could get more cores out of a newer CPU, and most dual pc setups have the stream pc have a pretty good CPU.

Pros for GPU (for what I see): I can just pay 60 dollars for a graphics card, and hope for the best that the GPU would be able to handle OBS, and hopefully the CPU and work well with the GPU.

I'm not sure what to pick?

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Approximate Purchase Date: Don't have one

Budget Range:
Looking for the cheapest option, but I also am willing to buy whatever would work best

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Streaming/recording

Are you buying a monitor:
No

Parts to Upgrade: Options to Upgrade (CPU, GPU, or add graphics card)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I don't have a preference

Parts Preferences: Don't have a preference

Overclocking:maybe

SLI or Crossfire:
No

Additional Comments: I have a old i3 530 in a system, I've tested streaming on OBS using ndi and its pixelated and sometimes choppy at 720 30fp, and 60fps. Im wondering on if I add a graphics card, or even a capture card, would that solve the problem? Or should I just ditch the i3 and buy a new processor?

My gaming PC specs: Ryzen 5 2600, RX 570 8gb, ssd 120, 1tb HDD, 8gb of ram, MSI A320, OS Windows 10 Home
2nd Streaming PC: I3 530, 4gbs of ram 2gbs of ram usable, 500gb HD, windows 10 home
Having 2 pcs for streaming is usually for the higher end where streamers want max performance without being to worried about cost. In your situation I would upgrade the CPU to a 3700x or 5800x and get 16 or 32 gigs of ram and you would be set to stream.