[SOLVED] 2nd PSU for external GPU

Vovin

Commendable
Mar 14, 2019
I'm sure this is not a new concept, but after looking around I did not find the exact scenario I am looking for.

So my situation is that I have an RTX 3080 and GTX 1060, both in my PC. For various reasons, I am going to move the 1060 outside of the case. It will still be connected and usable with a lengthy PCIE x16 extender.

So my issue is that I don't think I can power this external set up with the same PCIE cable from the PSU inside of the case that I am currently using. I do have another PSU that can provide a PCIE connection to this external GPU. I need to know exactly how to set this up so it all works in a safe fashion, mainly the best way to have second PSU link with first PSU/mobo so it all boots up together and whatever. I don't trust any paperclip trick. I've heard about cable adapters that can do this, just want to learn more about this and what are the best models on the market, etc..

The other option would be to obtain a longer PCIE 8pin cable to just using from the main PSU. However, I am not sure about using any PSU cables that did not come with the PSU itself. PSU is a Corsair i1000w.

Last edited:
Solution
You can use a switch like this, it has a light so you know whether the PSU is ON or OFF.

H9571e516ce014802a318e11219dc7ebfz.jpg_q50.jpg
You would be better off with something like this that links the startup pins on both PSUs: https://www.frozencpu.com/products/23858/cab-1956/PrimoChill_Hasher_-_Dual_PSU_Jumper_R-PSU-J.html

Alternatively, just get some sleeved extension cables for your PCIe cables. Assuming they are quality brands your unit will have no trouble running them.
Reactions: lvt
Solution

Vovin

Commendable
Mar 14, 2019
My second PSU has integrated mobo cables so neither of those options will work.
An extended PCIe cable would be a better option. Different PSU manufacturers have different standards and material configurations for their cables, so it is not recommended to use anything other than what is supplied with the PSU. If there was a place to just buy a Corsair-branded custom cable, then that would be optimal.

TRENDING THREADS