Question 2nd ram slot not working

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
Hello, I have intel dg31pr with a Pentium dual core and 2gb ddr2 800mhz ram (yah my pc is straight from 2008) i decided to upgrade the ram and got a new 2gb stick it works in the first slot but when put the ram in the 2nd slot (both slots populated) and power it up it throws 1beep a small pause and 10 or 11 continues beeps when i remove the ram from the first slot nothing happens just a blank screen so my 2nd slot is not working some how can any one help please.

Hello, I have intel dg31pr with a Pentium dual core and 2gb ddr2 800mhz ram (yah my pc is straight from 2008) i decided to upgrade the ram and got a new 2gb stick it works in the first slot but when put the ram in the 2nd slot (both slots populated) and power it up it throws 1beep a small pause and 10 or 11 continues beeps when i remove the ram from the first slot nothing happens just a blank screen so my 2nd slot is not working some how can any one help please.
I would visually inspect the slot of any damage or debris etc....
Then I would clean the contacts with something like a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.....or even better would be tuner cleaner or contact cleaner that's safe for plastics.....but rubbing alcohol will work.
Then let it all evaporate so it is dry before you try it.

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
I would visually inspect the slot of any damage or debris etc....
Then I would clean the contacts with something like a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.....or even better would be tuner cleaner or contact cleaner that's safe for plastics.....but rubbing alcohol will work.
Then let it all evaporate so it is dry before you try it.
I inspected the slot for and bend pins already nothing every thing looks fine. and i don't have rubbing alcohol. it is making contact hence the beeps i guess.

My guess is that your RAM sticks are different.

Using different sticks of RAM, even if from the same manufacturer, is never guaranteed. Only way to guarantee them is to buy all your RAM sticks at the same time, in the same package, and use only the ones in the package together.

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
i dimm is

Using different sticks of RAM, even if from the same manufacturer, is never guaranteed. Only way to guarantee them is to buy all your RAM sticks at the same time, in the same package, and use only the ones in the package together.

one dimm is single sided and one is double sided which is supported by the motherboard rest all specs are the same timing and all.

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
and the shop i bought it from did try the same type of memory in both slots and that dint work either.
Memory is likely not compatible with your existing memory.

Using memory from same batch, made at the same time is recommended.
and the shop i bought it from did try the same type of memory in both slots and that dint work either.they said its a bad ram slot.

Ram must be matched.
Certainly the specs, but also the internal workings and timings.
Even the same part numbers can be sufficiently different.
Having different numbers of chips is evidence that your ram is not sufficiently well matched.
Have your shop try a single kit of two matched ran sticks.

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
Ram must be matched.
Having different numbers of chips is evidence that your ram is not sufficiently well matched.
ok

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
Ram must be matched.
ok a bought 2 exact same sticks and tried it dose the same thing it still dose the same thing.

If both sticks came in the same package as a kit, then you are OK.
If they came in two different packages, even with the same exact part number, then they are not matched and may be the cause of your problem.

Intel processors are normally quite tolerant of mismatched ram, but not always.
The underlying components of a ram stick can be quite different over time and different manufacturing runs, even with the same part number.

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
If both sticks came in the same package as a kit, then you are OK.
If they came in two different packages, even with the same exact part number, then they are not matched and may be the cause of your problem.

Intel processors are normally quite tolerant of mismatched ram, but not always.
The underlying components of a ram stick can be quite different over time and different manufacturing runs, even with the same part number.
I tested those dimms on a diffrent motherboard with same chipset g31and the processor it works fine but that motherboard supports only 2 gb ram so when i put 4 gb ram in it recognises the ram but it won't rechognise the graphics card it says code35 firmware dosent specify what to do with the device so on dg31pr motherboard i think its the northbridge having some sort of problem. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: