Question 2nd ssd not found by bios, but first one is

Feb 15, 2019
Building a Win10 PC on ASRock X299E mobo.

It will not see the second SSD (Micron 1100, 2TB). Have upgraded BIOS and other mobo utils, swapped SATA cables, swapped power cables, swapped ports. Returned/replaced this drive with vendor so this model has "failed" twice with SSDs fresh from the wrapper. The drive is not seen in the BIOS screen so needless to say the disk manager scans aren't returning anything either.

The first SSD (Samsung 850 EVO, 500GB) works fine, even when using ports and cables that fail to connect the Micron.

I am stumped. I must be missing something but I am out of ideas.

Would anyone in the forum have a thought?

Many thanks, MB

eProvided_Com

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
SSD in the early years suffered from circuit issues due to it being a new technology. I had some meetings with some engineers in Denver Colorado trying to understand what is failing the most so we could attempt data recovery for people contacting us with damaged SSD drives.

Many times it was the fuses. On USB drives these surface mount PTCs were a common failure. We were very good at getting around the failure and getting the data recovered. But on SSD drives many times on the first editions that were manufactured they would use these. These days they are using a better build type. But let me know if you need any assistance if the files are lost.
littelfuse_ptc_femtoasmd_image.jpg.jpg

Feb 15, 2019
Replaced with Crucial MX500 2TB
Immediately found by system.
Problem solved.
Did a little research on the Micron I was trying and seems like it was an OEM part that somehow got into secondary market. Lots of pos reviews on Amazon and Newegg.
As for me, I will certainly avoid Micron.