[SOLVED] 2nd SSD not in diskpart or device manager after system upgrade, B450-f Gaming Asus Motherboard

cooperhanson

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Hello, I recently upgraded to my system's motherboard, CPU, ram, and case. I have two hard drives SSDs (NVMe C: and sata SSD for extra games) and my sata ssd is now not available in file manager, diskpart, partition manager, or bios. I should probably mention that I didn't do a fresh install on win 10 after upgrading components and haven't seen really any issues aside from this.
External media sources such as backup drives are reading fine.

System specs:
Processor - Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard - ASUS B450-f Gaming
PSU - Corsair 650i Gold 80+
Graphics Card - Nvidia 2070 Super
Ram - 2x8 3200 DDR4 corsair
Cooler - h100i corsair AIO
Case - Phanteks P400a
NVMe - C: Drive, 1 tb adata pro NVMe
SSD - Samsung 500GB Sata SSD (was working on computer day of upgrade as a secondary drive to hold games, but not after upgrade)

What i've tried:
  • Windows updates
  • Bios updated to latest version
  • Verified that in bios SATA wasn't disabled and was set to AHCI not raid
  • Added new SATA power line to PSU and ran it to SSD to see if current cable/port was issue
  • Swapped data Sata cable in case to a new sata cable that came with motherboard
  • Moved sata cable from port 6 to sata port 5 on motherboard (1-4 covered by graphics card and would require me moving graphics to different PCIe to access covered sata ports)
  • Uninstalled all 3 Standard SATA AHCI controller drivers under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in device manager and restart computer
  • Searched ASUS's website for SATA controller drivers and attempted to install. The only drivers available seem to only be for RAID and tell me my system isn't set up for raid when i try to install them (i'm aware i don't need raid but there didn't seem to be any non raid versions available, insinuating they are different from the raid version.)
Anyone have any ideas? Let me know if anyone needs any more info, I should be online mid tomorrow.

Last edited:
Solution
System specs:
Processor - Ryzen 3900x

• Moved sata cable from port 6 to sata port 5 on motherboard (1-4 covered by graphics card and would require me moving graphics to different PCIe to access covered sata ports)
Specifically:

"*3 When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled. "

You MUST move that SATA III drive to a different port.
If moving the GPU is required, so be it.

USAFRet

Titan
System specs:
Processor - Ryzen 3900x

Specifically:

"*3 When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled. "

Solution

cooperhanson

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Specifically:

This right here seemed to do the trick! I assumed trying a different port other than 5 or 6 might be redundant but I guess it needs those traffic lanes for the NVMe on M.2_1 socket !(hopefully that's the right terminology/logic behind 5&6 SATA ports not working) Thanks for solving the issues, this was driving me crazy!

To the other mod who recommended reinstall of win 10 I offer my thanks as well but I will probably wait off as my key for windows is just the generic one that can activate any PC and therefore although activates windows properly, in order to reinstall win 10 (according to my bootable drive) it must be ran in windows desktop environment to retain files/folders, and when i run the exe file it says it cannot validate my win 10 key so the upgrade fails. I will probably knock this out when i have cash for a legit win 10 licence!

Thanks again for your help everyone!

USAFRet

Titan
To the other mod who recommended reinstall of win 10 I offer my thanks as well but I will probably wait off as my key for windows is just the generic one that can activate any PC and therefore although activates windows properly, in order to reinstall win 10 (according to my bootable drive) it must be ran in windows desktop environment to retain files/folders, and when i run the exe file it says it cannot validate my win 10 key so the upgrade fails. I will probably knock this out when i have cash for a legit win 10 licence!

Thanks again for your help everyone!
There is not a "generic key that will activate any PC".
I don't know what you have, but that does not exist.

The license key being valid is completely different from the actual OS install.

For your OS license, was that ever linked to your MS account? If so, you can probably transfer that to the new hardware.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

He remarked that you need to do a new OS install, because using the old drive+OS usually fails with all new hardware.
Again, a fresh install has nothing to do with the 'license/activation'.

cooperhanson

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
There is not a "generic key that will activate any PC".
I don't know what you have, but that does not exist.

The license key being valid is completely different from the actual OS install.

For your OS license, was that ever linked to your MS account? If so, you can probably transfer that to the new hardware.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

He remarked that you need to do a new OS install, because using the old drive+OS usually fails with all new hardware.
Again, a fresh install has nothing to do with the 'license/activation'.

My previous build was also built by me from scratch without a legit copy of windows, for both builds i've used the same keys from the following website (ive never read the rules here so if posting this violates something feel free to delete/sensor this or i will)

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/th...ric-product-keys-to-install-windows-10.29464/

it says on the website that they wont actually activate your windows system, however when i use these keys it keeps away those pesky "update your product key" popups that started poping up on the screen a while back when i was in different full-screen games.

Definitely plan to get a legit key from MS store for win 10 in the coming months but i have no financial wiggle room for that atm. I get that it's more for for the hardware than the licence but my current win 10 pro boot usb isn't working because of an "invalid licence". not sure if the boot usb is the issue.