Question 2nd Stick of Ram not Working

Oct 30, 2019
Hi Guys

Sorry, I know there have been numerous threads similar to this, trust me I have spent a lot of time trouble-shooting, but I'm at my wits end.

I currently have a Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K3 motherboard, twinned with an i7-7700k.

I originally had two sticks of Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000mhz RAM installed in slots 2&4, worked a treat.

I am since installed Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 2x8GB 3200mhz RAM, again into slots 2&4.

The PC will not boot. The screen remains black and the PC restarts itself after fifteen seconds.

I've since tried individual sticks. One works everytime, whilst the other causes the same issue as above.

I've reset the CMOS, removed the CMOS battery, fiddled with the BIOS XMP settings etc and nothing appears to be working.

This is brand new RAM, so I would expect it to work, but have I either got an unlucky faulty from box RAM, or is there something I'm missing.

From what I can see, the RAM is compatible with the motherboard and the working stick of PRO RAM is recognised by Corsair's iCue system and the RBG lighting works.

Tom

Nov 28, 2019
Try reseating the CPU, reapply thermal paste and make sure to check for bent pins. I have had this problem too, but I kept getting BSoD after putting in the second RAM stick, and many crashes too. But it can be either a faulty motherboard, or the CPU has some faulty hardware or bent pins, which causes a lot of memory issues where the CPU can’t read the other set of RAM and end shutting down or other issues.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019
Edit: it can also be faulty RAM. Which is most likely the issue. Make sure your RAM is supported by your motherboard manufacturer. It should be on a list on the motherboard manufacturers website. Replacing the RAM with new and compatible sticks should fix it. Don’t misunderstand this, as RAM has no compatibility, but they’re certain types of ram that your motherboard works best with and tested with which again can be found on the manufacturers website.

What is the kit model for both kits? Check your old kit to make sure it's still working. If it stopped working like it used to, you may have done something to the system to cause the CPU to bump out of place in the socket when installing the new ram. As suggested by AdemK28, reseat the CPU by taking it out and place it back in the socket.

Dec 2, 2019
I am having the exact same issue, I am running a ryzen 5 3600 and 2x8gb trident z rgb ram at 3000mhz. My mobo is the AsRock b450m Pro4 mATX. Both ram sticks initially worked after building my PC. I had a bunch of issues soon after with unrelated things such as gpu and eventually did a complete windows reset. I cannot remember exactly when this started happening, but at some point one of my ram sticks stopped working. The only thing that could have caused this is trying to overclock to 3200mhz (only up by 200) (which I dont clearly remember doing), or maybe ESD. Reset CMOS, tested if it was a dimm slot problem, and consulted mobo manual for compatibility (which does not reference zen 2 cpus) etc etc, nothing. With the one broken ram stick installed, the PC turns on, then off, then on. Over and over. With the other (working) ram stick installed, the PC functions normally. With both ram sticks installed, regardless of dimm slots, the PC does the restart. I'm not sure what else to do to try and troubleshoot at this point. Lmk if you fina a fix

TRENDING THREADS