[SOLVED] 2nd Wireless AP not connected via Ethernet

Dec 9, 2020
Hi, I'm trying to gain internet access in a barn 'out back' from the main house and looking to do so wirelessly.

There is no electrical power connection between the house and the barn and it is too far to run a cable...200ft or so.

There is line of sight.

The house has a wireless N router(2.4Ghz). Unfortunately this router does not have removable antennas, because I do own a cheap Yagi antenna, but can't connect it.

What I am wondering is if I can send the signal from the router in the house to another router AP in the barn, wirelessly. I could then use a device in the barn wirelessly or connect a PC via ethernet to this barn AP.

Is this possible? Do I need to load different firmware onto the barn router in order for this to work? I assume it would be best to use directional antennas on both sides?

Last question... Does anyone have instructions on opening up a router, that does not have detachable antennas, and connecting an aftermarket antenna?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
Hi, I'm trying to gain internet access in a barn 'out back' from the main house and looking to do so wirelessly.

There is no electrical power connection between the house and the barn and it is too far to run a cable...200ft or so.

There is line of sight.

The house has a wireless N router(2.4Ghz). Unfortunately this router does not have removable antennas, because I do own a cheap Yagi antenna, but can't connect it.

What I am wondering is if I can send the signal from the router in the house to another router AP in the barn, wirelessly. I could then use a device in the barn wirelessly or connect a PC via ethernet to this barn AP.

Is this possible? Do I need to load different firmware onto the barn router in order for this to...

kanewolf

Titan

There is line of sight.

Is this possible? Do I need to load different firmware onto the barn router in order for this to work? I assume it would be best to use directional antennas on both sides?

Last question... Does anyone have instructions on opening up a router, that does not have detachable antennas, and connecting an aftermarket antenna?

Thanks in advance for any help!
200ft is a long distance for standard WIFI. Your best option for a wireless connection is to use a pair of outdoor wireless bridges. The Ubiquiti Loco AC or nano AC units. You mount one on the outside of the house pointed at the barn. You cable it back to the primary router. You put another on the outside of the barn and bring the network inside via an ethernet cable. The Ubiquiti units are power over ethernet (POE) powered, so just one cable is required.
200ft is not too far for an ethernet cable. Ethernet cable is good for 300+ feet. You could use a direct burial cable.

Solution
Dec 9, 2020
200ft is a long distance for standard WIFI. Your best option for a wireless connection is to use a pair of outdoor wireless bridges. The Ubiquiti Loco AC or nano AC units. You mount one on the outside of the house pointed at the barn. You cable it back to the primary router. You put another on the outside of the barn and bring the network inside via an ethernet cable. The Ubiquiti units are power over ethernet (POE) powered, so just one cable is required.
200ft is not too far for an ethernet cable. Ethernet cable is good for 300+ feet. You could use a direct burial cable.

Thanks for the ideas. One thing I didn't mention is that I am currently able to get about 25% of the signal or -74db with just the house router in a window and and homemade cantenna in the barn..

I would like to keep the cost of this project to a minimum. The direct burial cable is an interesting idea, but I think this would be a major task considering the rocky ground conditions we have and the vehicle traffic that passes between.

Is it possible to do as I described?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the ideas. One thing I didn't mention is that I am currently able to get about 25% of the signal or -74db with just the house router in a window and and homemade cantenna in the barn..

I would like to keep the cost of this project to a minimum. The direct burial cable is an interesting idea, but I think this would be a major task considering the rocky ground conditions we have and the vehicle traffic that passes between.

Is it possible to do as I described?
I gave you the professional way to do it. Uqiquiti AC loco units were about $50 each, if you can find them -- https://www.affinitechstore.com/ubiquiti-airmax-nanostation-5ac-loco-loco5ac-us/
So, $100 for a purpose made implementation.