2PC and one 5.1 speakersystem?

Snobben

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
I got 2Pc, one for gaming and one for watching movies. And to this I got a KVM-switch and logitech Z640 speakersystem.

How shuld I do to get the 5.1 sound from both my PC, like a KWM switch for 5.1 sound? ( not at the same time )

Movie PC got a SB live 5.1.
Game PC got a SB augity 2.

Everything I have found so far is only for stereospekers with one 3.5mm phonoplug. I need 3. Front, rear, spdif.

Please help. I dont need 2speakersystems on my desk. :)

strider

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
2 Speaker system is going to be your best answer. I tried to wire up my own multi plug and found it to compromise the sound and even lose some.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You could try three stereo A/B switches, one each for your front pair, rear pair, and center/bass.

Just make sure you use the correct type of switches, 2 inputs and 1 output which have isolation, NOT 1 input with 2 outputs which are sometimes just a y-splitter devices.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

Snobben

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
I have seen alot of y-splitters everywere.. and alot of things to have 2audio sources in one Pc (like speaker and headphones)
But I havent even seen a stereo A/B switch you are talking about Were to buy it? Do you got a URL?
Please help me :)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure this is going to be worth the expense but here goes.

You probably won't find A/B switches with 1/8" mini headphone connectors but you can find switches with stereo RCA connectors. They are called source selector switches. You can find them at HiFi stores like Tweeter Etc. Some switches handle more than two inputs but still only have one output so they won't help you. Stick to the switches with two inputs (unless you want to add more computers [<-edit] later)

What you need (IMO) is 3 A/B source switches, 9 sets of RCA patch cords (male at both ends), where 1 set is a left and a right. You need 3 sets for each computer and 3 sets going into your speakers. You also need 9 RCA to 1/8" mini headphone adapters (RCA side female, mini phone side male).

You might also need three 1/8" mini headphone gender changers. It depends on the connections on your speakers.

The closest thing I can find to the old selector switches are A/V switches. These switch composite video in addition to sound. You don't need to hook up video for the switches to work for audio, though.

I still think you can find the exact switches at a HiFi store.

<A HREF="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-1952" target="_new">Radio Shack A/V Selector switch</A>

<A HREF="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=274-369" target="_new">Stereo RCA (female) to 1/8" mini headphone (male) adapter</A>

<A HREF="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=274-1555" target="_new">1/8" gender changer (female-female)</A>

Sorry, I know it's a lot of cables and adapters (and not cheap).

It might be easier to buy speakers that accept dual source inputs, either dual analog, or analog (for one computer) and digital 5.1 (for the other), as someone else suggested. It sure would make the cabling simpler.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 05/04/04 03:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>