2TB Hard Drive only 85 mb?!

mookey87

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Hi All,

Having real issues with a Lacie 2TB wireless hard drive.

I'm attempting to format the drive as FAT32 for mac and windows but when I open the drive in disk management in either Mac Disk Utility or Windows Disk management the total size of the drive is just 85 mb?

So far I've tried -
-Formatting in any other formats available
- Trying on other ports on the same machines and then different machines entireley
-Finding the HD in bios (THough I couldnt see any options that were of help and still showed very small size)
-Wiping the HD by using a downloaded utility.

No luck across the board! Any ideas at all?

Also alot of the time it only shows in disk utility for Windows, not in my computer, nightmare!

Info:

Windows: Windows 10, all other external HD work fine under same conditions

Mac: Latest OSX, again, all other HD work fine.

Solution
Hey there, mookey87!

I'd strongly recommend you to test the external hard drive using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool for Windows. It will help you determine the health and SMART status of the HDD. Another option would be to try the 'Repair Disk' command in the Mac's Disk Utility. Hopefully, it will get the drive to its normal state. Here's a link to some third-party testing tools, in case you can't find one on the HDD manufacturer's website: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Have you tried running any third-party formatting tools on it? Maybe a secure erase (writing zeros) can also work on it. You also mentioned that it shows in Windows' Disk Management, can you share a screenshot of it...

mookey87

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
The only possible solution I've found is to use the HDD capacity restore tool - annolyingly this only works on 32 bit operating systems which we have none of!

Has anyone used a similar tool in Windows 10 or Mac OSX?

Hey there, mookey87!

I'd strongly recommend you to test the external hard drive using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool for Windows. It will help you determine the health and SMART status of the HDD. Another option would be to try the 'Repair Disk' command in the Mac's Disk Utility. Hopefully, it will get the drive to its normal state. Here's a link to some third-party testing tools, in case you can't find one on the HDD manufacturer's website: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Have you tried running any third-party formatting tools on it? Maybe a secure erase (writing zeros) can also work on it. You also mentioned that it shows in Windows' Disk Management, can you share a screenshot of it there? Have you tried reformatting the drive through this tool, instead of the quick format in the file explorer (This PC)?

Keep me posted! Hope this helps you! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution