Question 2TB HDD saying it's only 4GB and cannot initialize it!

Aug 13, 2019
Hello. I had 2 Seagate HDD of 2 TB each. Using Windows Server 2012 I created a mirror for these 2 disk and enabled shadow copies. When the process finished HDD Sentinel informed that one of the disks had like 1000 errors so it must be changed. After breaking the mirror I restarted the PC and then.... The healthy HDD now says it only has 4GB of space, and I cannot create new partitions or even initialize the disk, it says I/O error!!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing lasts for forever and here, you may be looking towards dead drive. What caused it's sudden failure is unknown because hardware can die without any apparent reason.

Data recovery would be very difficult since drive is almost gone. Here, you'll need to use data recovery software or use the services of data recovery firm. Do do it on your own, i suggest using Recuva,
link: https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

I've had microSD card die on me (with holiday pics on it) and i had the most success with Recuva. Most of the free data recovery softwares i tried didn't even recognize my microSD card. Recuva was the only one who recognized it and managed to save good part of my pics.

As a last resort, when all your attempts have failed, you're looking towards using services of data recovery firm. Depending on how far gone the drive is, data recovery can be very expensive.

If the data on the drive isn't important, just buy a new drive. Here, i'd avoid Seagate since they have worst reliability among the four (other three being Western Digital, Tosiba and HGST (Hitachi)). HGST drives are most reliable ones (proof). E.g HGST 2TB HDD,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/p8tCmG/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-hua723020ala640

If your drive is mirrored, then the second drive will have your data.

As for the reason for the 4GB capacity, Seagate drives report a capacity of 3.86GB, plus a bogus model number and serial number (factory alias), if they cannot read the reserved firmware area on the platters. This usually means that there is a head or media fault. Often the drive will click 11 times and spin down.

Aug 13, 2019

As for the reason for the 4GB capacity, Seagate drives report a capacity of 3.86GB, plus a bogus model number and serial number (factory alias), if they cannot read the reserved firmware area on the platters. This usually means that there is a head or media fault. Often the drive will click 11 times and spin down.
Exactly. Is showing 3.86 GB. But in BOTH disks! One doesn't have any problem with errors. In order to access de data I rebooted the PC, to unplug the dead drive, which, by the way has only 27 days of usage. The ok drive was fine, until I rebooted. Then..BUM, both saying they only have 3.86 GB without even being initialized. One still have bad sectors but the other one doesn't have any!

Aug 13, 2019

Watching again, both disks say they have only 3.86 GB but I can see their model and serial number without problem. Hard Disk Sentinel even say in Disk information they are both of 2TB, but only as information. In capacity:3.86GB

Aug 13, 2019
Nothing lasts for forever and here, you may be looking towards dead drive. What caused it's sudden failure is unknown because hardware can die without any apparent reason.

Data recovery would be very difficult since drive is almost gone. Here, you'll need to use data recovery software or use the services of data recovery firm. Do do it on your own, i suggest using Recuva,
link: https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

I've had microSD card die on me (with holiday pics on it) and i had the most success with Recuva. Most of the free data recovery softwares i tried didn't even recognize my microSD card. Recuva was the only one who recognized it and managed to save good part of my pics.

As a last resort, when all your attempts have failed, you're looking towards using services of data recovery firm. Depending on how far gone the drive is, data recovery can be very expensive.

If the data on the drive isn't important, just buy a new drive. Here, i'd avoid Seagate since they have worst reliability among the four (other three being Western Digital, Tosiba and HGST (Hitachi)). HGST drives are most reliable ones (proof). E.g HGST 2TB HDD,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/p8tCmG/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-hua723020ala640
I know Seagate is not great. I still have a HGST drive from 2013 and still at 100%. But both have less than one month of usage