2TB SAS Drives will not initialize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2018
Hello, I have 6 SAS 2TB Seagate Constellation ES Hard Drives I am trying to add to my Plex server and all of the Hard Drives can not initialize though windows. I have tried to also use command prompt and still not luck. I have added three pictures to imgur the link below.
Please let me know if you have any ideas of why they drives will not initialize and if you have any ideas of what I can do to get them to work..
https://imgur.com/a/BHgha
Thank you,
Richard

Solution
Are you formatting them in the controllers utility? Sas controllers are usually raid controllers so you would have to setup each disk in there. How you would pass a single disk thru varies. Some you just tell it its a single disk and others you have to 'fool' it with something a like a 1 drive raid1.

Some controller can be put into IT mode (initiator-target) and have it work like you do with windows & sata drives.

Which controller do you have?

popatim

Titan
If you have these Sas drive connected to your motherbd's Sata ports then that is why.
A Sata controller cannot run Sas drives but a Sas controller can Run Sata drives. This is because Sas uses a higher voltage then Sata and it can redice the voltage needed. Sata controllers cannot raise their voltages to the higher level needed for Sas drives.

Feb 17, 2018
Popatim Thank you for replying. I HDD's are plugged into a SAS controller. I have 2 SAS controllers and both give me the same error with all 6 drives. I have also downloaded Seatools and have ran the long fix all test and a complete format and all 6 drives passed the tests. I Think it maybe with the firmware all 6 drives are running TF03 and I can not find any replacement firmware for theses drives to try to flash them. If you have anyone ideas please let me know.

popatim

Titan
Are you formatting them in the controllers utility? Sas controllers are usually raid controllers so you would have to setup each disk in there. How you would pass a single disk thru varies. Some you just tell it its a single disk and others you have to 'fool' it with something a like a 1 drive raid1.

Some controller can be put into IT mode (initiator-target) and have it work like you do with windows & sata drives.

Which controller do you have?

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.