[SOLVED] 2TB SSD shows cloned 1TB HDD, no fixes work

Oct 25, 2020
I replaced the 1TB HDD drive with a 2TB SSD drive. The drive shows the cloned space. I've tried "command prompt" but nothing matches (can't figure out which to merge to) and I've tried "disk management" but the unallocated isn't next to the C drive.

I can't seem to post a link or screenshot.
list disk
Size-1863 GB Free-931GB

Volume 1 C OS NTFS 918GB
Volume 2 NTFS 523MB
Volume 3 Image NTFS 11GB
Volume 4 DELLSUPPORT NTFS 1091MB
Volume 5 ESP FAT32 650MB

Disk Management:(left to right)
650MB
OS (C:) 918.01 GB NTFS
523 MB
Image 11.16 NTFS
DELLSUPPORT 1.07 GB
931.50 GB Unallocated

Thanks!

Solution
This often happens going from a smaller drive to a larger.
ANd that config does not allow easy merging of that space.

Macrium Reflect can manipulate that space on the target drive, during the clone operation.

If you can, redo it.
Thusly: (and pay attention to the middle part where it refers to smaller drive to larger drive)

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new...

USAFRet

Titan
This often happens going from a smaller drive to a larger.
ANd that config does not allow easy merging of that space.

Macrium Reflect can manipulate that space on the target drive, during the clone operation.

If you can, redo it.
Thusly: (and pay attention to the middle part where it refers to smaller drive to larger drive)

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution
Oct 25, 2020
Thank you. I did use Macrium Reflect to clone it originally. I connected the SDD with a SATA to USB cord, then replaced the HHD when finished.

I'll open the computer and put the HHD back in, then reconnect all the wires and do it again with that change in settings. Will it automatically write over the SDD or do I need to do something first?

Also, do the other partitions make sense and should stay?

Thanks!

any decent partition manager can also rearrange the space so you can merge the unallocated space

Macrorit, GParted...
Thank you. I did use Macrium Reflect to clone it originally. I connected the SDD with a SATA to USB cord, then replaced the HHD when finished.

I'll open the computer and put the HHD back in, then reconnect all the wires and do it again with that change in settings. Will it automatically write over the SDD or do I need to do something first?

Also, do the other partitions make sense and should stay?

Thanks!

I've tried "command prompt" but nothing matches (can't figure out which to merge to) and I've tried "disk management" but the unallocated isn't next to the C drive.
Delete partitions next to C:
523MB recovery partition​
11GB recovery partition​
1GB recovery partition​

Then extend C: partition.
If you want those recovery partitions back, then leave enough space at the end of the drive and clone them again after extending C: partition.

Oct 25, 2020
Delete partitions next to C:
523MB recovery partition​
11GB recovery partition​
1GB recovery partition​

Then extend C: partition.
If you want those recovery partitions back, then leave enough space at the end of the drive and clone them again after extending C: partition.
Thanks! Why would I want those partitions back? I just use the computer, nothing really fancy or technical.

Thanks! Why would I want those partitions back?
They are not realy needed.
One contains recovery environment,
the other contains saved drivers,
third probably contains OS partition backup.

You can get recovery environment with windows installation media,
drivers you can download from Dell support site (assuming if its's Dell pc),
system backup you can create with tools like Macrium reflect.

They are not realy needed.
One contains recovery environment,
the other contains saved drivers,
third probably contains OS partition backup.

You can get recovery environment with windows installation media,
drivers you can download from Dell support site (assuming if its's Dell pc),
system backup you can create with tools like Macrium reflect.
This is definitely not the case with a pre-image from a manufacturer like Dell. These are typically loaded only at the factory, so you can't get another copy of it.

USAFRet

Titan
This is definitely not the case with a pre-image from a manufacturer like Dell. These are typically loaded only at the factory, so you can't get another copy of it.
Actually, with a system like that, you are prompted to create a USB or DVD image of that thing.
It states you should do this in the user manual.
This is what you stash away and use when the original drive dies.

No one ever does of course.
Getting that whole image later will almost certainly involve money.

Reactions: SamirD
Oct 25, 2020

I'm back to the HHD in the computer and the SSD set up with the SATA to USB to be cloned.

Do I add the 931.50 to part 3's 918.01 and make it be 1849.51?

Oct 25, 2020
Yes, once I unclicked "copy selected partitions" I could. I can then click each box in the new/cloned drive and it brings up a new window. This is what I get for clicking 3 OS F

Oct 25, 2020
Thanks.

I think that won't copy those partitions to the new drive? Is that what I want?

Uncheck 4, 5, 6 and then uncheck "copy selected partitions" and then click F and then "Cloned Partition properties"

Then do I change the amount to add the space to that drive?

Do I add the 4, 5, 6 checkmarks after before cloning?

Thanks! Sorry for so many questions!