2tb WD Green only formats in exFAT and not in NTFS

hanser30

Distinguished
May 28, 2014
Hey guys, I have a 2tb WD Green hard drive that has decided to not work in NTFS format. It randomly stopped working and the computer did not want to detect it sometimes, when it did I was able to format it as NTFS drive once again but it stayed in a loop and when I canceled the formatting process the disk was set as a RAW partition. The drive only works in exFAT format and i have tried over and over again.

Thanks!

Solution
Hello again, hanser30!

I'd definitely not advise you to store any essential data on that HDD just yet. Please, make sure you test its health and SMART status first. I'd also suggest you check the warranty of the WD Green on our website and see if its still within the warranty period. If it is, you should be able to RMA it and get a replacement from our Customer Support.

Keep in mind that tampering with the HDD physically by yourself is pretty risky.

Either way, best of luck! Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, hanser30!

Sorry to see you struggle with your WD Green drive! :( I'd recommend you check your SATA connections and even try connecting the HDD with a different SATA cable. If you have access to another computer, it might also be a good idea to attempt to format it from there. Make sure there's no important data on the drive that is not backed up before proceeding with the troubleshooting, though.
Another thing I'd advise you to do is run the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows and determine the health and SMART status of the WD Green.

Give these a try and let me know how it goes! :) Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

hanser30

Distinguished
May 28, 2014

Thank you SuperSoph,
I don't have any important data in the drive and I have tested the drive in three computers with no success. I have also changed the sata cable and used an external hard drive reader to do all of the checking. I appreciate the help and I will definitely try out the Diagnostics software to check the drive, If anything I might change the board on the drive and see what can be done.

Anyhow, would it be ok for me to use this exFAT drive in a storage server in my house as a last resort?

Thanks!

Hello again, hanser30!

I'd definitely not advise you to store any essential data on that HDD just yet. Please, make sure you test its health and SMART status first. I'd also suggest you check the warranty of the WD Green on our website and see if its still within the warranty period. If it is, you should be able to RMA it and get a replacement from our Customer Support.

Keep in mind that tampering with the HDD physically by yourself is pretty risky.

Either way, best of luck! Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS