2tb WD my passport ultra data transfer speed is very low

sanjay kumar 1971

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
I purchase a 2tb WD my passport ultra HDD from USA. After 02 months HDD data transfer speed was very low up to 256 kbs. I replaced cable of HDD, formatted HDD but speed not increase. What to do.

Solution
Hey there & welcome to the community, @Sanjay!

I'd recommend you backup all your data from the WD My Passport and copy it somewhere else as well. Having a duplicate of the files is the surest way to avoid the data loss headaches. Afterwards, follow @Colif's advice and run the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows.
Another thing you should try is using the external HDD on another computer and check how it will speed performance will be there. If you don't have access to another PC/laptop, use a different USB port on your computer and also check the computer/motherboard manufacturer's official website for any USB Hub controller driver updates. Manually reinstalling the USB drivers might...
Hey there & welcome to the community, @Sanjay!

I'd recommend you backup all your data from the WD My Passport and copy it somewhere else as well. Having a duplicate of the files is the surest way to avoid the data loss headaches. Afterwards, follow @Colif's advice and run the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows.
Another thing you should try is using the external HDD on another computer and check how it will speed performance will be there. If you don't have access to another PC/laptop, use a different USB port on your computer and also check the computer/motherboard manufacturer's official website for any USB Hub controller driver updates. Manually reinstalling the USB drivers might actually improve the transfer speed as well.

Keep us posted with the troubleshooting!
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

Solution