Question 2U Supermicro Server not recognizing drives

Nov 9, 2022
Running a 2U Supermicro 6 series. Forget which raid controller I'm using but I can grab model# if needed.
Problem: When I have only 2 cables connected from raid card to backplane the server runs okay no issues.. but when i plugin all 4 cables it doesn't recognize all the drives and sometimes the raid controller's kernel will crash. Initially when I bought the server. The first thing that failed was the supercap module I believe.. I initially thought when i purchased the server that the card they supplied only supported 8 drives. However, it was just that the vendor didn't have all the cables installed. When the server was live the supercap module failed.. As well as the vendor didn't supply a battery for the raid card supercap module. So my raid array became unstable and required rebuilding... So during this process I decided to take a closer look and then realized the cables were missing 2 of 4. After replacing the supercap module and now the raid card... I also installed a battery for the raid card...
So when everything is installed, all the bays are filled with drives.. The raid utility doesn't detect any of the drives... and while trying to rescan for the drives the kernel either crashes or the utilty freezes when it goes to update drive info.

kanewolf

Titan
Running a 2U Supermicro 6 series. Forget which raid controller I'm using but I can grab model# if needed.
Problem: When I have only 2 cables connected from raid card to backplane the server runs okay no issues.. but when i plugin all 4 cables it doesn't recognize all the drives and sometimes the raid controller's kernel will crash. Initially when I bought the server. The first thing that failed was the supercap module I believe.. I initially thought when i purchased the server that the card they supplied only supported 8 drives. However, it was just that the vendor didn't have all the cables installed. When the server was live the supercap module failed.. As well as the vendor didn't supply a battery for the raid card supercap module. So my raid array became unstable and required rebuilding... So during this process I decided to take a closer look and then realized the cables were missing 2 of 4. After replacing the supercap module and now the raid card... I also installed a battery for the raid card...
So when everything is installed, all the bays are filled with drives.. The raid utility doesn't detect any of the drives... and while trying to rescan for the drives the kernel either crashes or the utilty freezes when it goes to update drive info.
Yeah, we will need way more complete info. Motherboard model, Chassis model, and controller model.
Without being able to read the manuals we are blind.

TRENDING THREADS