2x 1tb wd blacks or 1x 2tb wd black? which is better?

Solution
Hey there, deltawar567.

There are Pros and Cons for both options and this is basically up to your personal preference and needs.
In my opinion it's always better to get 2 separate drives if your budget allows it and if you have enough SATA ports as your data will be distributed among those 2 HDDs, which would mean that if the worse happens and you lose one of them, at least you'd still have the other one and its data. Note that backing up your most important and irreplaceable data is always highly recommended.
On the other hand, @SkyNetRising has some pretty good points as well, plus the 2TB (and larger) models of the WD Black drive have an additional feature, which you should conciser. I'm talking about StableTrac Technology -...
Hey there, deltawar567.

There are Pros and Cons for both options and this is basically up to your personal preference and needs.
In my opinion it's always better to get 2 separate drives if your budget allows it and if you have enough SATA ports as your data will be distributed among those 2 HDDs, which would mean that if the worse happens and you lose one of them, at least you'd still have the other one and its data. Note that backing up your most important and irreplaceable data is always highly recommended.
On the other hand, @SkyNetRising has some pretty good points as well, plus the 2TB (and larger) models of the WD Black drive have an additional feature, which you should conciser. I'm talking about StableTrac Technology - "This secures the motor shaft inside the hard drive to increase reliability and help reduce impact due to system-induced vibrations from other components. By stabilizing the platters inside, WD Black drives result in more accurate tracking in a particular sector during read and write operations, optimizing performance and reliability.".
You can find more about its features here: WD Black Drive

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

Solution
I've stopped using Blacks - maybe I've just been unlucky but in the 119 drives I bought last year for work+play, only 3 were WD Blacks - all three failed and they are the only ones out of the 119 that have failed. I wouldn't mind so much, but the blacks were all for me in different machines, so I was the most affected. I'm more than happy with WD in general, using Reds and Greens extensively, but I look for alternatives to the Black series now. Maybe I just had awful luck /shrug.

Personally after that experience, I'd have 2x2TB green (or red - both cheaper than black) in raid1 - with most raid codecs, you'll get a read speed boost (higher than a single Black), a slight write speed hit and some data protection with two drives having the same data.

ezzy_s

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
1x 2TB as less space, power, connections used....whilst 2 x 1TB would give you more protection in event of HDD failure you should really be backing up anyways ;) so unless you were going to RAID the drives for 1TB of usable space, go with the 2TB.