[SOLVED] 2x 295x2 in 2020?

kapul4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Greetings, I have a chance to buy two R9 295x2 gpu's(in theory 4 GPU's) for less than $200. Cards have custom bioses and are moded with R9 390x memory timings. I was wondering, what is the forecast for these cards in 2020? I heard game developers are dropping support for crossfire so I am afraid I will just throw money away. Where is that DX12 promise stuck that said we will be able to combo any card with a

Solution
Multi GPU support is going away, more than two in modern games will almost certainly give you a very poor gaming experience in any modern game regardless of which API it uses. I'd bet a single 2060 would significantly outperform 2 295's in 4 way crossfire in really any game made in the last couple years, certainly in terms of 1% and 0.1% FPS lows.

Not a good idea for modern games. If all you play is like battlefield 4 or other older games that have decent crossfire support, you may be able to outperform a mid range modern single GPU card with your 4 old power sucking GPU cores, maybe.

kapul4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Cards are undervolted and their max power draw in full load is 350 per card(measured),heat never reaches above 60c so I am not concerned by either of those,only by game compatibility.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
That's still 700W from your graphics cards alone. You're still going to need a beefy PSU. May even want to consider if you want 700+W of heat being dumped into your room.

But with regard to compatibility, I would assume that 4-way crossfire would generally have very poor support.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Multi GPU support is going away, more than two in modern games will almost certainly give you a very poor gaming experience in any modern game regardless of which API it uses. I'd bet a single 2060 would significantly outperform 2 295's in 4 way crossfire in really any game made in the last couple years, certainly in terms of 1% and 0.1% FPS lows.

Not a good idea for modern games. If all you play is like battlefield 4 or other older games that have decent crossfire support, you may be able to outperform a mid range modern single GPU card with your 4 old power sucking GPU cores, maybe.

Solution