Question 2x(2x8) GB single rank = 4x8 GB in dual rank?

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Hey guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my 2x8GB DDR4 memory kit, by adding another identical kit of 2x8GB.

My current memory is Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb DDR4 3000 MHz CL15 (BLS2K8G4D30AESBK), which on crucial official description says it's SR (single rank).

If I add another kit, will it function as DR (dual rank)?

I'm looking to improve my 1% lows in games. As far as I've seen in tests it can get up to 10%-15% better 1% lows with 32GB dual rank memory.
Or should I just save the money for the GPU upgrade I plan later this year?

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you try to mix 2 sets of ram, even if they are exact same speed/make/model/whatever, you run risk of getting errors. Sets are only tested to work with each other. Trying to get 4 sticks to work might cause BSOD

So if you want 32gb of ram you best buying it as a set. Then its up to you if you get 4 x 8gb or 2 x 16gb as either way you getting the same amount of ranks.

Almost all 8gb ram is SR, it refers to how many sides the ram chips are on. 8gb only need 1 side. 16gb or larger will be dual rank , as they use 2 sides of the stick. It gets more complicated as the amount of ram goes up.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I appreciate your info, but isn't the point of buying a 2x kit 1st, or should I say a plus, to be easy to upgrade by adding another kit next to it?

Everyone said, don't buy 4x, buy 2x so you can upgrade easily later on... So now is not easy, because it can cause errors?

If I could afford 32GB from start I would have done that... and a 32GB now is still expensive for me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't have said its easy, its possible you won't get any errors but its not guaranteed. Its a bit of a gamble, it can depend on if you are on Intel or AMD as Intel are a little more forgiving. I have seen someone match 4 different sets together and get no errors. Its a lottery really.

I know I wouldn't have said to do that but I don't go into build threads often.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
What I don't know is if one kit is single rank adding another identical kit makes the system work as dual rank? Since that's the only way I'll get more performance for the 1% lows...
Look for the Motherboard QVL , they list the memory that will work in 4 Dimms or only 2 Dimms

dont buy before checking
I've done that when I bought the system 1 year ago and the memory I have is not even listed there (BLS2K8G4D30AESBK ), not even something similar even though they have like 30 different Crucial ones listed.

I bough it because I've seen it in articles and tests working with Ryzen and it did work and it's OC now to 3600Mhz from 3000. Not great timings, but it's better than stock.

I can't rely on old info by the Motherboard QVL. It's not updated even now.

All I know it's working now OC above XMP.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
What I don't know is if one kit is single rank adding another identical kit makes the system work as dual rank? Since that's the only way I'll get more performance for the 1% lows...

I've done that when I bought the system 1 year ago and the memory I have is not even listed there (BLS2K8G4D30AESBK ), not even something similar even though they have like 30 different Crucial ones listed.

I bough it because I've seen it in articles and tests working with Ryzen and it did work and it's OC now to 3600Mhz from 3000. Not great timings, but it's better than stock.

I can't rely on old info by the Motherboard QVL. It's not updated even now.

All I know it's working now OC above XMP.

Goto Crucial site and use their memory finder , click on select computer , then manufactrer and mother board , and see it yours is listed

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Goto Crucial site and use their memory finder , click on select computer , then manufactrer and mother board , and see it yours is listed
I've just did that now and Crucial does not make my model anymore. The closest I could find is a 3200Mhz CL16 version of the Ballistix Sport. Mine is 3000Mhz CL15 that I've OC-ed to 3600Mhz.

It does not answer my question of weather pairing 2 kits of single rank turn them into dual rank...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you getting channels and ranks mixed up?

adding 2 more SR sticks would mean you have 4 SR, it doesn't make them DR suddenly.

Single rank sticks are easier to overclock

You would have 2 Dual memory channels running though

Last edited:
Reactions: VforV
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly ryzen, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
And, if you are running ryzen processors, they are tightly tied to ram.

If you want better performance look at a faster replacement kit. Sell the old or keep it as a spare.

If your games can use more than 16gb, buy a 32gb kit.
Ryzen is dual channel regardless if you have 2 or 4 sticks.
Yes, there seems to be some evidence that 4 sticks may perform better.
But a 4 stick kit will cost more than a 2 stick kit.
That i because of the added difficulty in matching the timings and other characteristics of 4 sticks vs 2.

To insure compatibility, look at the ram QVL list for your motherboard.
Or, go to the ram maker web site and access their ram configurator.
Pick a kit that is explicitly supported by your motherboard.
Lastly, see if there are motherboard bios updates applicable to ram issues.

Reactions: VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
@geofelt : TY for the info, I think I'll have to go the safer route of buying 32 GB instead of adding another 16GB kit. It's much more expensive and I'll probably delay this upgrade for later. I would have upgraded now only because adding 16GB is cheaper....
Are you getting channels and ranks mixed up?

adding 2 more SR sticks would mean you have 4 SR, it doesn't make them DR suddenly.

Single rank sticks are easier to overclock

You would have 2 Dual memory channels running though
Yes, this was my issue. Thanks for clarifying. Somehow I understood wrong that you can make the memory work as dual rank if you add more sticks (another kit). Anyway, now I get it. Thanks again.

TimmyP777

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
YES. Holy necro I dont care. Jesus christ this was one infuriating thread. Who tf cares how he bought his memory? Why did you immediately start talking about that? God damn.