2x Gigabyte WF 770 2GB´s in SLI vs 1x Asus STRIX GTX 970?

YoloGaming

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
Im going to buy a gaming pc.
And i have the option to choose between:

2x Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB WF in SLI for 250USD (for both)

or

1x Asus STRIX GTX 970 4GB for 450USD

(The prices are so high because i live in Norway)

The real question is are the Gigabyte WF 770 2GB´s too old? since they got released in May 2013?

Solution
Yeah true, its not worth to order from abroad that way , because you are at the same price.

It's your decision. SLI has known issues like flickering,bad profiles,ghosting etc. But still the biggest problem is the vram. 2gb vram is really low.
it all depends on what settings you want to play on.
if you are good with low-medium textures then you are good with the 2gb vram most likely.
if you want to use ultra textures then the right choice is the 970.
Also don't forget that the 970 is much more future proof aswell.
And the last thing that you get a free copy of Witcher 3 with the 970 now if i'm righgt ;d

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, they are not too old, many (like myself) are still running 6 series gpus.

The decision will then be performance. Sli 770s will be stronger than a 970, in games that have sufficient optimization and SLI support. In everything else, the 970 will be stronger.

Also, you'll need a quality 850w psu for SLI 770s and some decent case cooling, vrs adequate cooling and a quality 520-550w psu.

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
How the hell would sli 770 be stronger than a 970 dude?

every time you run out of vram it will be a stutter fest and if you are planning on gaming on ultra textures, todays and upcoming games use 3-4gb vram, so the 770 sli is not an option at all..

YoloGaming

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

Thanks for your answer, but i am on a pretty tight budget. My entire build is about 1100USD-1250USD

And the prices here in Norway are pretty massive.

PS: The 770´s are used
What would you pick between the 770´s (for 250USD) and an Asus/gigabyte GTX 960 for 240USD?
Would you still go for the 900 series? :)

YoloGaming

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

If i order from abroad i will have to pay 25% of the order in taxes.

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
Yeah true, its not worth to order from abroad that way , because you are at the same price.

It's your decision. SLI has known issues like flickering,bad profiles,ghosting etc. But still the biggest problem is the vram. 2gb vram is really low.
it all depends on what settings you want to play on.
if you are good with low-medium textures then you are good with the 2gb vram most likely.
if you want to use ultra textures then the right choice is the 970.
Also don't forget that the 970 is much more future proof aswell.
And the last thing that you get a free copy of Witcher 3 with the 970 now if i'm righgt ;d

Solution

YoloGaming

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

Yeah :/ Im probably going to save up for a 970. If not i will buy a 960 i think.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What a mess. I run heavily modded skyrim with enb, 130+ mods, many with 2k and 4k texture packs on a 2Gb gtx660ti at ultra max settings with 4x/8x AA/AF.

Cant run ultra with 2Gb, only low medium? What a joke. The gtx 770 is more than capable of ultra settings and decent frames in many games and at least high in others. 2Gb doesn't have much to do with it, the games are pretty much the same now as a few months ago when the debate over 4Gb cards was raging, 2Gb being enough for a single monitor at 1080p. More than 2Gb really only comes into play at higher resolutions or fps, but for a standard 60Hz 1080p monitor 2Gb is fine.

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished

You are totally wrong and what you saying is false. To be proper it is not false it is just outdated information, maybe you are right about skyrim, but that's 1 game.

Examples of games using 3-4gb vram on 1080p 60hz monitor with ultra settings( without any mod!)
watch dogs, ac unity, cod advanced warfare, lords of fallen, dying light The list goes on.
maybe you trust your own eyes, proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XYmfMR6O8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvhfYWA_EX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMWVzOl6kNA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMEnVCFyBtM

Now it turns out what you are saying is a " mess " as you would call. 2gb vram is outdated. we are in 2015. wake up...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, hate to break it to you, but 2Gb is not outdated. What its not, is for those who must have the biggest, baddest, fastest, strongest, absolutely have to play at Ultra Max yada yada yada. For those who just wish to play at decent settings, with decent framerates on the majority of games, since not everyone plays Watchdogs, Dying Light or AC Unity, they are more than good at 2Gb. I myself don't play those games, I happen not to enjoy them. So i'll stick with my happy 2Gb and skyrim and GW2.

If 2Gb is so outdated, you may want to give Nvidia a call and set them straight, their brand spanking new GTX 960 they just put out on the market, is outdated already, it being ONLY 2Gb.

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
No i'm not reconsidering anytinhg, because i'm right and my argument is based on real life experience, the youtube videos are just to back them up, because they are showing facts what you can't argue with. They are showing the vram usage for ultra textures in certain games.

Okay maybe you do not play these games, but that doesn't mean others don't want to. Yes you can play old games on high/ultra with a 660 and a 760. you can also play supermario on a gtx 460, that doesn't mean that it's not outdated.

And to be honest i consider the gtx 960 a very very bad deal aswell. simply because it isn't future proof.
GTX 960 - 200$ 2GB vram 128bit 1024 cuda
GTX 970 - 300$ 3,5gb vram 256 bit 1664cuda core
so for 50% more money you get nearly double vram and double the interface width. and near 50% more cuda cores.
the 970 is a way better deal in 2015 if you really don't see this i don't know what to say...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Like I said... Biggest, baddest, fastest, strongest. Not every one can afford to drop $300+ on a gpu and are quite happy with playing any game on medium to high or even ultra at times. Most ppl are happy just being able to play, and thats where 2Gb nvidia and 3Gb AMD cards have their niche.

Next you'll be spouting that sandy/Ivy Bridge cpus are outdated because they are about to be 2 generations and 4 revisions old not to mention they came out 3-4 years ago.

I've put my '05 Dodge station wagon up against a 2015 maxima and a 2014 Mustang GT, and all they saw was tail-lights. Just because something is older honestly doesn't a damned thing.

TRENDING THREADS