Question 2x GTX 1080-Ti or a new card?

superbubbles

Commendable
Feb 16, 2021
Hi, I want to upgrade my GPU config, I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.

I'm thinking about buying another used GTX 1080 Ti from a different brand (probably ASUS) but also considering buying a new card.
Do you think there is a card in the $500-$700 range that would outperform two GTX 1080 Ti?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
MOBO: ASRock X670E Taichi

Thank you for reading

Don't bother with SLI, its just not worth it anymore, I would get a new GPU if that 1080ti isn't fitting your needs, You could get a 3080, it would out perform that 1080ti in everything, or if you don't care about sticking with Nvidia, the AMD 6800xt is a pretty darn fast card for the money, but you do have to understand its limitations like it doesn't have great ray tracing performance, don't support DLSS or DLAA, but AMD you get FSR which isn't too bad all things considered.

You might be able to find a 4070, though not worth it in my opinion, a 3080ti can be had for around 600 and its a great card. The 7900xt I believe it going to be out of that budget range, you could wait for the 7800xt but Im sure thats goanna be overpriced for a while.

Bunch of choices, just take note that the 1080ti is around a RTX 3060ti performance give or take, or around a RX6600 xt.

Good Luck

Reactions: superbubbles
Another issue with going SLI is you're stuck with that generation's features. Not only can you find a single card solution in that price range that will outperform 2x 1080 Ti's at the theoretical best (which the theoretical best won't happen), you'll get even more features.

superbubbles

Commendable
Feb 16, 2021
Thank you for your replies! I'm having a closer look at what you all wrote.

Sorry, I should have mentionned: I don't play games and need GPU for Cinema4D, Octane Render, After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator. And I have three 1920x1080 screens.

Sorry, I should have mentionned: I don't play games and need GPU for Cinema4D, Octane Render, After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator. And I have three 1920x1080 screens.
I'd still recommend one video card over multiple. Less hassle to deal with. You're far enough along that again, you can find a single card that will outperform 2x 1080 Ti's in your price range.

Yeah I always assume someone is wanting to game when it comes to questions like these, Its far more common for this situation where some is wanting to get better gaming performance rather than productivity work loads, why my reply was more geared towards gaming.

zx128k

Reputable
Two 1080ti's wont make up for no DXR, AI upscaling and the rest of the newer features. With DX12 there is a feature called Explicit Multi-GPU. Since the launch of SLI, a long time ago, utilization of multiple GPUs was handled automatically by the display driver.

DirectX 12 exposes two alternate ways of controlling multiple physical GPUs. They can be controlled as multiple independent adapters where each adapter represents one physical GPU. Alternatively, they can be configured as one “linked node adapter” where each node represents one physical GPU.

To explicitly utilize multiple GPUs, the renderer needs to be aware of their existence. This requires some new code infrastructure. Building the infrastructure can actually be the task that requires most effort.

Thus if a game runs on DirectX 9, 10, or 11, you can still possibly run it by downloading driver profiles from your GPU's manufacturer. But, if the game you're playing uses DirectX 12, it must natively support multi-GPU technology. Otherwise, the game will only use one GPU in your system.

Ashes of the Singularity is the only game that supports multiple GPUs of different models/vendors. Well that I know of anyway. Rise of the Tomb Raider supports multi-gpu. Its really hard to make a list of supported games because there are so few.

Copy and paste ftw.

He means it's around or there abouts, near enough to that level (around), as in not far off for comparison sakes which is true.
I know what he meant. The point being, the 3060ti is about 10-15% faster than the 1080ti, at pretty much every game.

I think 15% is far off. Anyhow, was just pointing out the difference. The 3060ti outperforms the 2080 Super in most cases too.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I know what he meant. The point being, the 3060ti is about 10-15% faster than the 1080ti, at pretty much every game.

I think 15% is far off. Anyhow, was just pointing out the difference. The 3060ti outperforms the 2080 Super in most cases too.

1 or 2 games within 15fps, rest 5ish. Even if 15% was worthy of upgrading to some, it's still marginal. To gauge reasonable expectations is pretty fair to me.

superbubbles

Commendable
Feb 16, 2021
Thank you all for taking the time and for your replies, it's been very helpful :love:

I'll abandon the 2x cards idea then, and head towards a single card. But I'm in a lousy zone, where I'll probably need to go for a ~$1000+ budget for the change to be really worth it. I'll be putting money in this only if it gives me at least a 50% performance increase.
I think I'll wait a bit.. who knows, perhaps prices will be cut in half in a few months :popcorn:

Last edited:
1 or 2 games within 15fps, rest 5ish. Even if 15% was worthy of upgrading to some, it's still marginal. To gauge reasonable expectations is pretty fair to me.
Again, you are missing the point. I didn't recommend the 3060ti as a replacement. Only that the other posters info wasn't quite right.

Of course, you do realise that an increase in performance in FPS terms like 15fps, does not correlate with a 15% increase, so I'm not sure what argument you are trying to make. I was only pointing out the inaccuracy.

Edit: the 15% is the same as the difference between a 3060ti and a 4060ti (if DLSS3 and Frame generations (which is a sham) ) in raster performance. Just to illustrate like!

Anyway stop trolling me, and offer something to the thread or leave it!

Cheers

Last edited:
Again, you are missing the point. I didn't recommend the 3060ti as a replacement. Only that the other posters info wasn't quite right.

Of course, you do realise that an increase in performance in FPS terms like 15fps, does not correlate with a 15% increase, so I'm not sure what argument you are trying to make. I was only pointing out the inaccuracy.

Edit: the 15% is the same as the difference between a 3060ti and a 4060ti (if DLSS3 and Frame generations (which is a sham) ) in raster performance. Just to illustrate like!

Anyway stop trolling me, and offer something to the thread or leave it!

Cheers
How wasn't I right, its around that performance, around, do you understand what that means,, I mean I shouldn't have to explain it, so no I was not wrong, Its in the ball part of a 3060ti, "around" the 1080ti performance bracket, I merely said that so he knows that he shouldn't be looking at a 3060 class GPU, Please, I beg you, explain to me how that is wrong? Sheesh, some people these days....

zx128k

Reputable
How wasn't I right, its around that performance, around, do you understand what that means,, I mean I shouldn't have to explain it, so no I was not wrong, Its in the ball part of a 3060ti, "around" the 1080ti performance bracket, I merely said that so he knows that he shouldn't be looking at a 3060 class GPU, Please, I beg you, explain to me how that is wrong? Sheesh, some people these days....
Let it drop. Don't lose sight of the threads goal.

Reactions: Order 66
Since nothing supports SLI anymore (not even nVidia), I would say that anything that costs about $500 would most likely outperform a two GTX 1080 Ti SLI configuration because you'd still be getting the performance of only one of the cards.

In the $500-$700 range, there are only two cards that I would consider to be worth buying:

If you want to stay close to the bottom of the range:
ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D 16GB - $520
If you're happy with spending over $600:
ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Formula OC 16GB - $620

The only GeForce cards in that range are the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB at $500 and the RTX 4070 at $590. There are some problems with these cards however.

Firstly, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB gets absolutely wrecked by the RX 6800 XT. The RX 6800 XT wrecks it so bad that the RTX 4060 Ti can't even beat it in RT unless the game is CP2077 (an nVidia title) with RT turned to max. The RT performance of the RX 6800 XT is superior to the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB in every other game. According to TPU, the RX 6800 XT is, on average a whopping 32% faster than the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB. Daniel Owen does a good job of demonstrating just how badly beaten the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB gets by the RX 6800 XT in this video:

Then there's the RTX 4070 at $590. It performs about as well as the RX 6800 XT (the RX 6800 XT is about 3% faster on average according to TPU but that's not significant). What is significant however is the fact that the RX 6950 XT is 19% faster according to TPU despite costing only 5% more. Daniel Owen is kinda wishy-washy in this video compared to the other one but you can see the performance numbers in games for yourself: