[SOLVED] 2x Molex to 8 Pin

Jul 9, 2020
I wasn’t sure where to put this so hope it’s in the right place, but I thought it’d be better to ask before I break something!
My SO kindly gave me his 2060 for Christmas as I’ve been using a 660 for years now. My PC currently has an 800w server psu (I don’t know the brand, but i’ve been using it for over a year now with no issues). My problem is, is that although it has a 6 pin pcie, it doesn’t have an 8 pin, so I was wondering if it’d be safe to use a 2x molex to 8 pin connector. This will only be for about a month as i’m building a new pc in early feb but wondering if this could be a quick fix without frying my pc. I don’t mind waiting but the other half insists that I use it now lol.
Sorry I know this question has been asked a lot before but I need to be sure!!
Thank you :)

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You will need to specify the make and model of your 800W PSU as that is only the wattage, not the quality of the unit. How old is the unit? If your PSU lacks the connectors for your components, then the PSU is either not supposed to be in your build or your component shouldn't be in there(the GPU).

Lutfij

Titan

You will need to specify the make and model of your 800W PSU as that is only the wattage, not the quality of the unit. How old is the unit? If your PSU lacks the connectors for your components, then the PSU is either not supposed to be in your build or your component shouldn't be in there(the GPU).

Reactions: Dawnie_xo
Solution
Jul 9, 2020

I don’t really feel like ripping my pc apart to find out what make/model it is, but I know the psu is probably at least 8 years old, if not older. It has all the connectors I need apart from the 8 pin, but I don’t believe it has a 24pin which is a bit weird (motherboard was ripped from a prebuilt which uses a 16 pin? or a 12, difficult to count). Its all old hardware really which is why I’m building a new one, I suppose i’d be better off just waiting. Thank you for your reply anyway

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I don’t really feel like ripping my pc apart to find out what make/model it is, but I know the psu is probably at least 8 years old, if not older. It has all the connectors I need apart from the 8 pin, but I don’t believe it has a 24pin which is a bit weird (motherboard was ripped from a prebuilt which uses a 16 pin? or a 12, difficult to count). Its all old hardware really which is why I’m building a new one, I suppose i’d be better off just waiting. Thank you for your reply anyway
Easy answer if you don't have the proper connectors then you need a new power supply.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You don't "really feel like" finding out absolutely crucial information that's necessary to keep from destroying your new GPU?

Well, that's a position, all right.

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
unfortunately it doesn't, literally only one 6 pin which is a bummer!

Well, in theory you could use a Molex to 6 pin, then another dual 6 to 8 pin, problem is without knowing more info you could be using the same 12v rail. There are 6 pin to 8 pin adapters (I don't know why they make them honestly - you really need to know how much power you have on the 12V rail).

6 pin can supply up to 75 watts (what you have)
8 pin can supply up to 150 watts (what you need)

You could try to convince you SO to upgrade his PSU and get his hand-me-down. (give him a gift card to newegg for part of the amount?)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
an "800w" psu with only a 6-pin tells me pretty much everything i need to know abut that psu.

a quality 800w psu will have 4x 6+2 pin connection and easily be able to handle any single gpu!! i have a 375w psu that has a 6-pin on it.

do not try to use one of those adapters for what is clearly a low quality psu that will likely only destroy your whole system. no amount of changing the appearance of a connection will all of a sudden make it create more power. that's like throwing a giant spoiler on a junk car and then expecting it to all of a sudden be fast.

do yourself a favor and get a new psu

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020
Thank you everyone for your opinions, going with my gut afterall and I'm just going to wait it out! Will be picking up a shiny new c750 next month anyway :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
good call :)

i did notice after the fact this is a server psu you have which explains the missing pcie connections. servers don't need more than a basic gpu so don't bother offering power to more than a basic gpu. but they do need a lot of cpu power and more for the mobo and so on. so they have those connections in bulk. they really are not designed for a modern gaming pc which is what you are finding out with yours.

have fun with the new system when you finally get it all together and running :)