2X Samsung 840 Pro SSD RAID 0 low speeds

Frankbob

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
As the title states I have 2 Samsung 840 Pro SSD which are not reaching correct speeds. Below is a list of my system hardware configuration and speed results using AS SSD Benchmark. Please help me with this I have tried everything I can think of. I have updated all drivers, MoBo firmware, and still nothing. I have reinstalled my operating system using several different RAID 0 configs and continue to get similar results. So far RAID 0 64kbit stripe rate with read through and write back seems to work best, but still not seeing the speeds I should be. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

System Specs
CoolerMaster Storm Scout II Mid Tower Case
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor OC to 4724.9 MHz
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooling System
32GB Corsair Sniper Series 1866MHz RAM
Dual EVGA GeForce GTX680 4GB Classified Edition SLI Enabled Graphics Cards
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 Motherboard
Dual Samsung 840 Pro SSD RAID 0 Array
1000W Rosewill Lightning Series PSU
LG Black Blu-Ray ROM
ASUS VG Series 27” 120MHz 3D Display

AS SSD Benchmark 1.7.4739.38088
------------------------------
Name: AMD 2+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device
Firmware: 1.10
Controller: ahcix64s
Offset: 103424 K - OK
Size: 474.97 GB
Date: 3/16/2013 6:30:17 PM
Sequential:
Read: 497.10 MB/s
Write: 423.20 MB/s
4K:
Read: 21.58 MB/s
Write: 157.29 MB/s
4K-64Threads:
Read: 304.10 MB/s
Write: 235.45 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: 0.180 ms
Write: 0.024 ms
Score:
Read: 375
Write: 435
Total: 1005

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
That's weird. I am not sure what AMD has, but do you have them both plugged into the same SATA 3 port or not? Because you need to have them on a SATA III port, both of them to get the maximum performance. I have mine which are 830 series 256 each and they are crazy fast. So double check that and also check your BIOS setting to see whether the ports are operating at SATA 3 or 2 speed!

Frankbob

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I have them plugged into the 0 and 1 locations on the MoBo, both are SATA 3. I am using the AMD SATA 3 ports and not the additional 2 Marvell SATA2 ports, which is what makes this issue so weird.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

That's weird. You should be seeing better speeds than those. I hope someone else can chime in on this. All the best bud. I'll try to look for some articles that explain how they work in AMD board and if there's anything else you need to do. Hang in there.

Connect your drives to ports SATA3_0 & SATA3_1 if you do have them there already, and retest. See page 7 of your motherboard manual for the location of the ports.

EDIT: Disregard my post; I see that you just replied that you have them connected there.

Basic suggestion/question, are you sure that the SATA ports are functioning in SATA3? They might be set to SATA 2 in the BIOS for some weird reason. You are getting performance that I'd more or less expect from a single drive in SATA3, if even enough for that. I don't recall AMD boards having such poor SATA performance that they'd hamstring the RAID array like this either.

Frankbob

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I have tried this before also 0 and 3, 2 and 4, 5 and 6, so on, and so on. still same results. has anyone heard of maybe a known issue of this type with either the mobo or ssd's?

Frankbob

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I have checked the bios to make sure that these ports are set to sata 3 and they are. I am using the on board RAID controller should I use the Windows software raid? Anything I have read on this is that there is normally not a positive result of using the Windows RAID though.

I've used Windows software RAID and not had any problems. It's my understanding that it's usually not as good as hardware RAID cards, but motherboard RAID is pretty much just software RAID anyway with most consumer boards IIRC. I don't think it'd hurt to give it a try if you want to. If you haven't already, just make sure to back up anything that you wouldn't want to risk losing, just in case ;)

At the least, it'd provide a little more info on if the issue is simply the chipset's RAID capabilities being insufficient for top-end SATA 6Gb/s SSDs.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

On board controller should work just fine. But you can give the windows raid controller a try and see but as someone mentioned already, do create a system image and back up your data because it will all be erased.

Frankbob

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Ok sorry it has take me so long to post back. Still no changes. I have even contacted Gigabyte and they have no clue either. Any more suggestions would be much appreciated.