2X WD740 in Raid 0 or 2X WD740 non-raid

Keeper07

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Hey,

I purchased 2X 74G Raptors not too long ago and installed them in Raid 0 format.

I honestly thought the Raptor Raid would of been faster then what I am experiencing right now.

Do Raptors run very well in Raid ? and is it really worth it ? Here is my current setup

P4 2.8Ghz HT
2 Gig Corsair Twin-X XMS PC400 ( 4 X 512 )
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
WD74 10k Raptor mounted in Raid 0 on Promise controller
ATI 9800 PRO 128mb

Could it be my Raid controller that isnt fit to run these babys to their full capacity ? or am I just wanting too much from them ?

I had a single 80Gig Maxtor beforehand, and as far as transfer rate or even Windows loading etc... I don't see that much of a difference...

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you

RichPLS

Champion
You gave no performance numbers or the like to compare.
I have 2x74GB Raptors in a RAID0 for boot drive using onboard controller. I am pleased.
I get sustained avg transfers of 110MB/sec,,,
Not sure what you were expecting.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
It depends what you use your system for. If you are only checking e-mail and browsing the Internet, you probably won't see much of a difference in RAID. If you do video editing, and move large files, then you will notice a HUGE difference. Moving from a single 80GB WD, to 2x74GB Raptors was a HUGE change. I really saw significant gains in video editing. What used to take 45 min, takes only 15 min now. I average over 100MB/sec.

My System:
http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org

TRENDING THREADS