[SOLVED] 2x Xeon E550 in HP DL360

Deanyo2k7

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
Hi guys im looking at getting my first server to be able to host multiple wordpress sites on using ubuntu 18.04 on hyper-v and apache with mysql and php.

I may also be hosting email servers on it too but im not sure yet I haven’t figured that out.

I found this server on eBay: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/283604695028

Do you guys think it will be powerful enough? Wont be anymore that 10-20 websites at first. Im just starting a new business :)

Solution
A DL360 is going to be REALLY loud. Is this host going to be in a basement, or garage, or some other generally unoccupied space?
12GB RAM is not NEARLY enough RAM. Assuming each website is a separate VM for security you want 48 to 96GB RAM.
Those CPUs are triple memory channel CPUs. That means you want multiples of 6 DIMMs. With 12GB included the seller hasn't even included a minimum optimum RAM config. An E5550 isn't a CPU that HP sold in that chassis. There was an X5550 but the frequency doesn't match. I would PASS on that seller. They don't know what they are doing.

kanewolf

Titan
A DL360 is going to be REALLY loud. Is this host going to be in a basement, or garage, or some other generally unoccupied space?
12GB RAM is not NEARLY enough RAM. Assuming each website is a separate VM for security you want 48 to 96GB RAM.
Those CPUs are triple memory channel CPUs. That means you want multiples of 6 DIMMs. With 12GB included the seller hasn't even included a minimum optimum RAM config. An E5550 isn't a CPU that HP sold in that chassis. There was an X5550 but the frequency doesn't match. I would PASS on that seller. They don't know what they are doing.

Solution

Deanyo2k7

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
Yes id likely have it somewhere out of the way. Each website will probably be a seperate VM but they could all be on one but not sure what security implications that brings in. What would you recommend for me to get for this scenario? My top budget is around £300-400. Servers are a grey area for me and i still have a lot to learn!

kanewolf

Titan
I don't have a specific link recommendation. Things change too frequently. I will say that you want to emphasize RAM over cores. CPU cores can be oversubscribed 2X to 4X without issues. RAM can't be. Assume you need 4GB to 8GB RAM per VM. Each website also needs storage. 10GB minimum.
Also don't get a 1U server. They have the smallest diameter fans and therefore have to spin the fastest. They also have the least room for storage.
If you want old Xeon CPUs then look for a workstation like a Z800 or Z820. Or a ML350. Those are larger cases so they have quieter fans and more room for storage.
For 10 - 20 websites, you might want to consider having more than one physical host. That way when it fails you are not totally out-of-business. Also the cost of a quality UPS needs to be included in your business plan.

kanewolf

Titan
I found this one too but not sure how good it is: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/273911716063

Is building a PC to use as a host an option? I could build a pc with a lot of ram and an i7. Is that ideal for a web host or is my best bet buying and actual server?

thanks for your help btw I appreciate it :)
That is better.
Is a "server" better? How important is uptime? Servers have hot swap power supplies and disks, PCs generally don't. ECC RAM gets more important as you get more DIMMs. That Dell has a hardware RAID controller, not just a motherboard RAID capability. Again, if uptime is important, you need a good UPS and probably two physical hosts.

Deanyo2k7

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
Uptime is probably crucial to build a good reputation of my business, i wouldnt any customers calling up to say their site isnt working. I may get that server ive just shown if it is good for me to start with.

Do i need to worry so much about which CPU i have in it or does it not matter so much? I dont want to have a machine with lots of ram but a low power CPU thats gunna slow anything down. Think that one had 2 x5650s in it.

kanewolf

Titan
Uptime is probably crucial to build a good reputation of my business, i wouldnt any customers calling up to say their site isnt working. I may get that server ive just shown if it is good for me to start with.

Do i need to worry so much about which CPU i have in it or does it not matter so much? I dont want to have a machine with lots of ram but a low power CPU thats gunna slow anything down. Think that one had 2 x5650s in it.
For websites, the CPU is even less important that other uses. The X56xx CPUs will be higher clocked than the E56xx CPUs. They will also use more electricity. The electricity is the biggest recurring cost. WAN bandwidth would be next.
Newer CPUs are faster and more efficient. But you are using low budget constraints.
As I have said multiple times before in this thread, uptime is an entire site. Networking -- Do you have multiple ISP feeds? Power -- UPS as a minimum. Hardware redundancy -- RAID storage, hot swap devices, multiple physical hosts. That is what provides uptime.

But remember you are competing with AWS. You have a very difficult business case to make to have your own hardware vs using AWS servers and providing the expert service to implement successfully on AWS.