[SOLVED] 2x16GB or 4x8GB ? Confused.

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hi there,

I currently have two GSKILL Ripjaws V 8GB 3200MHz CL16 rams running dual channel.

Motherboard is MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, so it has 4 ram slots.

I want to increase the memory on my computer, which path should I take and what are the benefits of them?

Get two more GSKILL rams that are exactly the same and run 4x8
Or just get two 16x2 sticks and sell the ripjaws?

Solution
Ryzen 5 3600 officially supports up to 3200MHz and many will go up to 3600MHz OC RAM.
It depends on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) however no guarantee you will reach the rated frequency. The higher you go the more difficult it becomes to tune for their SPD.

Your Motherboard supports up to 3466MHz so no problems there.
My recommendation is for either G.Skill or Corsair 32GB (2x16) and depending on availability and your budget.

G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZ Modules are none RGB but fast timings with Samsung B-Die chips.
G.Skill Trident z neo
F4-3600C16D-32GTZN Modules are RGB with higher rated frequency.

Corsair Vengeance
CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 none RGB with...
It is never a good idea to mix kits even if they have exactly the same specs due to Latency/Density differences. Yes some try it and get lucky whilst others think it works to find instability and sudden crashes. Their modules may test OK individually but not together.

Best is to get a single kit 16x2 at a frequency the MB and CPU support that are listed on the MB QVL tested and known to work. Choose the QVL pertaining to your CPU
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#support-cpu

Keep what you have as spares.

Reactions: Endre

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Last edited:
Ryzen 5 3600 officially supports up to 3200MHz and many will go up to 3600MHz OC RAM.
It depends on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) however no guarantee you will reach the rated frequency. The higher you go the more difficult it becomes to tune for their SPD.

Your Motherboard supports up to 3466MHz so no problems there.
My recommendation is for either G.Skill or Corsair 32GB (2x16) and depending on availability and your budget.

G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZ Modules are none RGB but fast timings with Samsung B-Die chips.
G.Skill Trident z neo
F4-3600C16D-32GTZN Modules are RGB with higher rated frequency.

Corsair Vengeance
CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 none RGB with Samsung B-Die chips

The above are tested kits listed on the QVL and known to work. They are all OC RAM so you may have to manually enter their SPD in Bios as they may default to a lower frequency initially. They may have an SPD profile for easy overclocking however no guarantee.

It is advised you update your Bios and chipset for better stability prior to installing your RAM.
shop around for best pricing

Last edited:
Solution