2x2GB + 2x4GB = 12GB of RAM?

AppleGeek911

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Long story short, I built a LGA 1150 system and I'm thinking making some major upgrades.

I'm currently running 8GB of RAM in my system, and constantly have problems with applications running out of memory. I host servers for 2 games, and have many programs open at once.

I'm finding 8GB to be inadequate. If I added 2x2GB modules to my 2x4GB modules (same make and model obviously) would I have a working 12GB of RAM?

Solution
I have done this on my machine but decided to remove the 2x2gb. I have not encountered any problems but it is not the same on all system. With this setup, instability may occur on the system since some motherboard does not like this kind of setup. You will have to set the timings manual to set them same and voltage but even this does not help stability if motherboard does not like it. just buy another same model and brand to go for 16gb just to be safe since you are hosting servers.

meeko13

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
I have done this on my machine but decided to remove the 2x2gb. I have not encountered any problems but it is not the same on all system. With this setup, instability may occur on the system since some motherboard does not like this kind of setup. You will have to set the timings manual to set them same and voltage but even this does not help stability if motherboard does not like it. just buy another same model and brand to go for 16gb just to be safe since you are hosting servers.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

More like 50/50 it will work, one of the reasons we have so many threads here from people that have have tried mixing DRAM and have problem after problem, more in my article (Item 2) here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html

People get mixed DRAM to play a couple or even a few times and they think it basically always will.