2x4 dual channel vs 12gb flex

vytuzas

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
Hello!

Currently, I do have a Lenovo y520 laptop which originally runs 8gb 2400mhz DDR4 ram. Also, I do have additional 2x4GB 2400MHZ DDR4 ram sticks and I do not make up my mind on how should I have those ram used. Also, the 8gb and 2x4GB ram sticks are from different brands.

If I run those 2x4GB sticks, they run in dual-channel normally and CPU-Z states so. (Also it shows CAS 16)

If I stick 1x4GB and 8GB stick together, CPU-Z shows that it is running in dual channel mode too. As I have read, in such cases it should run in this FLEX mode, where 8 gigs of RAM should work in dual channel, while the left 4 should run in the normal single channel mode. Also, when running in the FLEX mode, CPU-Z shows CAS 18 as opposed to the CAS 16 timing when running 4gb ram sticks together.

I want to ask whether someone has any experience in this, as I am not sure whether using these different RAM sticks will cause any issues to my system in a long run? Also, is the CAS tradeoff noticeable in gaming (as the main thing I am doing with this laptop is gaming)? There are a few games I play that could benefit from some more ram than 8gb, but I am not sure whether that higher CAS latency is noticeable.

Ram speed vise? Not not really, if it runs a higher cas its relaxed timings to give it stable operation. You could try yourself out. Nobody really knows what could happen, for instance I could not manage to get working 2x8 and 2x2 in my system, but in other Which is pretty old works without issue with 2+1 and 2x2 with different ram brands and speed.

Soo in short, try it out.