2x4 GB 1600 MHz kit, G.Skill or Corsair?

G

If you could get G.Skill Ripjaws X and Corsair Vengeance for roughly the same price (Corsair is $7 cheaper), which one would you choose?

Both are 2x4 GB, 1600 MHz, 9-9-9-24, but Corsair has 5 year warranty compared to G.Skill's 3 year warranty.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I'd get the one that is $7 cheaper. No reason to spend more money on something that won't give you a performance boost.

Also, almost all RAM has a lifetime warranty. Not sure why those two wouldn't.

G

For the same reason Sabertooth P67 has 5 year warranty in USA, but only 2 year warranty in Croatia.
For the same reason XFX GPU cards have lifetime warranty in USA, but only 2 year warranty in Croatia.

Basically, Croatia sucks when it comes to computer parts. Prices and support alike.

I've always believed that Corsair was one of the best companies for ram and have always preferred to buy that memory as my ram selection for the motherboard. It just always seem to work without any issues and performs well. G.Skill is not a bad choice by any means but i'm usually put off by thier ram because it is always priced lower than all the rest and I have used it without any problems but in the end my preference has always been Corsair.

G

I'm asking because I have read a lot of reviews that say good things about G.Skill, practically no one ever said anything bad about them (except that they're Chinese, lol, which I don't mind).

As for Corsair, their reputation speaks for them really.

Anyway, I guess I'll just go with Corsair then. :) Thanks for replies.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

didn't know they changed the warranty policy for RAM in other countries.

Anyways, RAM chips aren't made by that many different companies. I don't know who Corsair and G.Skill use, but I know they don't make the chips themselves. Either way, if you aren't looking to overclock the RAM, I've never heard of anyone using the cheap stuff having a problem using it at the advertised speed. Hence why I always recommend whatever is the cheapest. Granted if it is a choice between Joe'sShadyCompany vs. a somewhat known brand, I'll pay the $1 extra.

G

I only plan to overclock the CPU (2500k), not sure if and how that affects RAM?

beenthere

Distinguished
If both are approved for your CPU, then either would be a good choice. I believe Corsair has a Lifetime Warranty on their RAM and G.skill may also unless this has recently changed? You should e-mail both for the latest warranty info. to be certain.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Both are excellent, so pick the one that is cheapest for you and has the best warranty. Or if you like everything to match in your computer go for the one that will look better in your computer.

G

I'm going for the blue scheme, P8P67 PRO, blue LED fans and I believe Corsair Vengeance has blue or black sticks which will go well with everything else. Another plus for it, since G.Skill is red.

As for warranty, is there anything I can do anyway? Like contacting the manufacturer, would that be any good?

I mean, 5 years should be plenty for RAM, but this question goes for other components as well. If manufacturer has 5 year warranty and I get only 2 years from the store and it breaks after 2.5-3 years, it's not really fair for me as an end user, isn't it?

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
There is blue G skills ripjaws x memory (model number F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM) which is what I have, but its a lot more expensive than the red for some reason, at least it is in the UK. I wanted a blue scheme aswell, so I payed extra.

One thing to note is the G Skills Ripjaws x have a lower profile and will fit underneath more CPU coolers than the Corsair Vengence memory will. The ripjaws x only just fit underneath my Noctua NH-D14 but the Vengence would have no chance of fitting because of the larger heatsink on the Vengence.

G

This is exactly the thing I've been researching since my last reply ~20 minutes ago.

Will Corsair Vengeance fit below Corsair A70 on Asus P8P67 motherboard?

I'll do some more research and if I can't find the answer, I'll probably make a thread about it here.

Unless someone answers it here in the meantime.