[SOLVED] 2x4 pin to 6 pin or 1x4 pin to 6 pin ?

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Solution
there should be enough power then. most of the time when folks ask this question it is to use a 300w gpu on a 250w psu. lol

the dual molex to 6-pin would be the thing to try then. should give roughly the 75w the 6-pin is supposed to. that's the one i'd try.

i should note though that the VS line of PSU's are not very good quality and it is likely the PSU is just at the end of it's life. if you got 3 years or so out of it, then you got your money's worth really. the adapter may work but it should be considered a short term fix until you can get a new better quality PSU to replace it.

we'll be happy to help you pick a solid option when you're ready to buy new. i know your options in your country are expensive for the quality units but...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
honestly you should not use an adapter. if the power supply does not have the right connections, that means it should not be used to power something.

you should get a new PSU that has the correct connections. chances are, the PSU you have can't put out the power required no matter how many adapters you use. they may change the connection but they DON'T create new power.

what PSU do you have right now? can look at the specs but more than likely, it is a bad idea to use any adapters.

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Actually my Psu has 2x8 pins but i am having a problem with the Psu

Please check this thread-https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gpu-randomly-making-screen-go-black.241823/

I am having this exact same problem so i thought of changing the 6 pin connectors
Its exactly the same problem im having so i thought that its PSU's fault.....
He fixed it by changing the connectors
Im using Corsair Vs650
I used the 970 for 2 years and there was no problem.
It is now happening for the past 4 weeks.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there should be enough power then. most of the time when folks ask this question it is to use a 300w gpu on a 250w psu. lol

the dual molex to 6-pin would be the thing to try then. should give roughly the 75w the 6-pin is supposed to. that's the one i'd try.

i should note though that the VS line of PSU's are not very good quality and it is likely the PSU is just at the end of it's life. if you got 3 years or so out of it, then you got your money's worth really. the adapter may work but it should be considered a short term fix until you can get a new better quality PSU to replace it.

we'll be happy to help you pick a solid option when you're ready to buy new. i know your options in your country are expensive for the quality units but it's worth the cost to keep the rest of the psu safe and running smooth.

Solution

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014

we'll be happy to help you pick a solid option when you're ready to buy new. i know your options in your country are expensive for the quality units but it's worth the cost to keep the rest of the psu safe and running smooth.
Thank you for the solution i was hoping.
The problem is fixed right now.
But im wondering will it be okay to do, wont 4pin to 6pin cable melt or anthing like performane loss or like that ?? (im just asking , i dont know these stuffs xD)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the wiring for the molex is designed provide the power it pulls. hopefully the adapter wiring can handle the combined pull from both molex connections. should not be a problem unless that adapter is using inferior wire.

should not effect the performance so long as the card gets the power it needs. in the end though it is not advisable to use those adapters long term. i'd be looking for a new psu that has all the right connections and modern protections built in. short term should be no problem but i would not run my personal system with an adapter like that for more than a month or 2. not being able to use the whole psu is a sign something inside might be wrong and it's just not worth the risk.

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
the wiring for the molex is designed provide the power it pulls. hopefully the adapter wiring can handle the combined pull from both molex connections. should not be a problem unless that adapter is using inferior wire.

should not effect the performance so long as the card gets the power it needs. in the end though it is not advisable to use those adapters long term. i'd be looking for a new psu that has all the right connections and modern protections built in. short term should be no problem but i would not run my personal system with an adapter like that for more than a month or 2. not being able to use the whole psu is a sign something inside might be wrong and it's just not worth the risk.
Its currently working great , no performance issues like that.
The problem was with the Psu 6 pin connector.
okz , again thnx for replying.
And can u suggest a good Psu for like 70$
My cpu is R7 2700.