[SOLVED] 2x4gb 2400mhz or 4x4gb 2400mhz on ryzen3 2200G

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
Ryzen3 2200G
gigabyte AB350 gaming 3 rev .1x

i already got 2x4gb 2400mhz
so is it worth adding 2more 4gb 2400mhz ? since CPU and motherboard do not support quad channel so i will be running two dual channels ..

-so is it worth the price ? or i should keep using 2x4gb 2400mhz
-NO selling my existing ram is not an option.
-i play CS GO and rust, would occasionally pay a AAA title and have no problem running with potato settings as long as i get good FPS.
-in case you wondering why i got 2400 2x4gb in first place, i build it when ram cost kidney, today's market price of the ram i bought is 40% less then what i paid a year ago.

Last edited:
Solution
If you're not willing to sell what you have and simply buy a single kit of 2 x8GB, then I'd just stick with what you have, for a few reasons.

One, you'd be mixing memory kits, even if they are the same kit number there will likely be differences even if the only difference is the fact that they came from a different production run. That might be enough to cause problems, especially on Ryzen that is fairly finicky when it comes to memory compatibility in the first place.

Secondly, running four DIMMs vs two is or can be, almost always problematic without a fair amount of fiddling and tweaking. At only 2400mhz it would't be likely to be AS big a potential problem as if you were running high speed sticks, but it's still a significant...
If you're not willing to sell what you have and simply buy a single kit of 2 x8GB, then I'd just stick with what you have, for a few reasons.

One, you'd be mixing memory kits, even if they are the same kit number there will likely be differences even if the only difference is the fact that they came from a different production run. That might be enough to cause problems, especially on Ryzen that is fairly finicky when it comes to memory compatibility in the first place.

Secondly, running four DIMMs vs two is or can be, almost always problematic without a fair amount of fiddling and tweaking. At only 2400mhz it would't be likely to be AS big a potential problem as if you were running high speed sticks, but it's still a significant increase of stress on the memory controller and will likely require you to tweak some settings and increase the DRAM voltage to get them to either run or to run stable.

If you are willing to roll the dice on all those things, then go for it, but at least do so knowing going into it that it probably won't be as simple as just installing the memory and going on with life.

Solution

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017

Secondly, running four DIMMs vs two is or can be, almost always problematic without a fair amount of fiddling and tweaking. At only 2400mhz it would't be likely to be AS big a potential problem as if you were running high speed sticks, but it's still a significant increase of stress on the memory controller and will likely require you to tweak some settings and increase the DRAM voltage to get them to either run or to run stable.

If you are willing to roll the dice on all those things, then go for it, but at least do so knowing going into it that it probably won't be as simple as just installing the memory and going on with life.

yes seems like i only will get 16gb of ram at some risk, which i dont think i need that much. games are running fine only RUST could use a little more memory.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'd recommend the 2x8 GB route. While you may only need it in a few games, you're also using very slow RAM for a Ryzen. A 2200G is begging for fast RAM and you're giving away real performance. Given that you can get 2x8 3000 MHz kits for under $70 now as RAM prices have collapsed, I think you'd be crazy not to.

Reactions: Darkbreeze