Question 2x8 GB 3200Mhz then 4x8GB 2400 Mhz

Oct 28, 2019
Hello,
I had 2x8 Gb memory an 2nd and 4th slot and run with 3200Mhz. Today I upgraded with totally same memories, so I have 4x8 Gb, but I can't run my pc on 3200Mhz I have to downgrade it on 2400 Mhz. Can you help me what to do that I can be able to run it with 3200Mhz? I'm addind a photo when I set 3200Mhz and can't run pc and screen from Cpu-z.

Imgur

PC:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: 32 GB (DDR4) 3200Mhz
Graphics card: ASUS GeForce ROG STRIX GTX 1070 Ti
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

D

Deleted member 14196

Read the responses here. If you want 32 GB you have to buy all in one kit or else you’re mixing it buying two separate kits is mixing it

It doesn’t matter if they’re the same speed and timings and brand if you didn’t buy them all 4 sticks together in one kit you’re mixing ram and as you found it doesn’t always work

Reactions: WildCard999
Oct 28, 2019
Read the responses here. If you want 32 GB you have to buy all in one kit or else you’re mixing it buying two separate kits is mixing it

It doesn’t matter if they’re the same speed and timings and brand if you didn’t buy them all 4 sticks together in one kit you’re mixing ram and as you found it doesn’t always work
Ahh thanks, so there is no way to help..

D

Deleted member 14196

No you could mess with the voltages and the timings as specified by sizzling up above

You just won’t get the maximum speed out of the ram. If it’s working now at 2400 you might want to just leave it

You are fortunate that the second set worked.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

Is your ram on the motherboard ram support qvl list?
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...D_Ryzen_2000_Series_Processors_B450_4DIMM.pdf
For the most part, I see 2400 as a top speed using a 2000 series processor.
But, there are some that will run 3200 and one kit that can go to 3466.

Ryzen is picky about ram. Often running 4 sticks will lower the speed you can run at.
Contact the support site for your ram.
They may be able to advise you on how to get going faster.

If money is not a big issue, return/sell what you have for a supported kit of the speed you need.

Reactions: brewcrew650
Hello,
I had 2x8 Gb memory an 2nd and 4th slot and run with 3200Mhz. Today I upgraded with totally same memories, so I have 4x8 Gb, but I can't run my pc on 3200Mhz I have to downgrade it on 2400 Mhz. Can you help me what to do that I can be able to run it with 3200Mhz? I'm addind a photo when I set 3200Mhz and can't run pc and screen from Cpu-z.

Imgur

PC:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: 32 GB (DDR4) 3200Mhz
Graphics card: ASUS GeForce ROG STRIX GTX 1070 Ti
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
Dual rank configurations of 4x8GB or 2x16GB, running at 2933-3066Mhz (3133Mhz might work) with CL14 timings is the best you can do on Ryzen 2000 CPUs depending on the memory chips on the modules. 4x8GB 3000Mhz at CL14 is actually faster than 2x8GB 3200Mhz CL14 in games that are CPU biased like Battlefield 5. It likely won't matter if you are mixing kits for running lower speed with looser or the advertised timings, as long as they are using the same memory chips.