Question 2x8 ram kit or 2x8 normal same ram?

Feb 27, 2023
If I add 2 normal single ram stick of same company and same model to the motherboard, can it run in dual channel mode?

or

I have to put dual stick ram kit into the motherboard in order to run them at dual channel mode?

Please explain it. And thanks in advance.

kanewolf

Titan
If I add 2 normal single ram stick of same company and same model to the motherboard, can it run in dual channel mode?

or

I have to put dual stick ram kit into the motherboard in order to run them at dual channel mode?

Please explain it. And thanks in advance.
ALWAYS a kit. The manufacturer has tested the parts and guarantees them to work as a set. If you buy two single DIMMs the responsibility of getting them to work together is yours. So if you want a guarantee, you buy a kit.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly ryzen, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios if you have an overclocking motherboard that can adjust ram voltage.