2x8gb kit shows only 8gb usable memory instead of 16gb ? help!

Feb 17, 2018
Hello,recently I get hit by so many issues with my PC...

I got a new problem!
My 2x8gb kit recently has stoped working somehow ,or it's a settings/software issue, I hope some1 can help me out!

Here is my setup:
r5 1600 (not OC'd yet)
b350 tomahawk
2x8gb Vengeance LPX 3200mh from Corsair
Some 700w PSU
GTX 1060 6gb

What happened ? I had some issue with BSOD recently which I solved by updating the BIOS to the latest version, but last night I've noticed that my RAM is reading only 1 stick, when I start the PC it gave me some message that I havent correctly chosen my DIMM slot and to replace it to A1 (first slot for single chanel RAM), after some research ,I couldnt fix it...
Win 10 updated,BIOS updated, both sticks work ,tested 1 by 1, I've reseted CMOS with the jummper,used XMP profile (didnt want to boot with it) swiched couple slots with my sticks randomly, reseted manually the bios settings,SCONFIG > BOOT > ADVANCED the box is UN CHECKED
for the RAM use...

What I belive it could be affected by: win 10 update, BIOS update, and I used caned air to clean it of dust ,recently(2-3day's ago),everything was pluged out ,I didnt remove the RAM while blowing air around,and I am sure it worked after I cleaned it just fine! So anyone got an solution to this problem ,or what I could try to fix it ? I' have read some posts on other forums , and no solution helped me atm..

Solution
Looked at msconfig->boot->advanced options,check if max memory is unchecked?

If you look at taskmanager->performance-> source controll (bottom)->memory what does it give? Can post a picture ,

Can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.
Feb 17, 2018
Nah , I could try that, I only check both sticks in A1 slot and the B2, they both worked and booted the PC up without problems, so I assume they work... I kinda have the feeling that it is caused by the BIOS update...

Btw I get an message before the pc starts that I aint using the correct DIMM slot,even if I pluged it in the correct one, ill make a photo and upload it...

Sys inf. : https://imgur.com/a/q1anX
https://imgur.com/a/q1anX

msg before boot> https://imgur.com/a/9tWEc

Could be something like with my Asusu MB. manual shows opposite way of what's printed on MB and CPU-Z shows in yet another position. I finally settled to keep RAM in A2 and B2 slots as indicated on MB itself. Although it works in A1 and B1 slots it's more stable in other 2. Siting them in A or B only results in single channel.

Feb 17, 2018

Well ,it was working just fine , in the last 3 day's something went wrong with it, i am using a2 b2 atm,and its indicated at the manual and website that way... Looks like it did mess around the ram slots, somehow.. But still why dosent it read it as 16gb while i have both sticks in? In windows it reads 16 but only usable 8, probably a BIOS problem again,like i had with BSOD ... Any solution before i try to flash it again?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looked at msconfig->boot->advanced options,check if max memory is unchecked?

If you look at taskmanager->performance-> source controll (bottom)->memory what does it give? Can post a picture ,

Can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Solution
Feb 17, 2018
Sorry for the late reply.. Gone to reset CMOS and flash BIOS. But didn't really help much... Still same as b4.. Sorry can't post the img now, seems that I messed my Ethernet connection somehow while resting BIOS .. Gona post tomorrow...

BTW msconfig->boot->advanced  the box is unchecked...

Wasted over 7hours trying to fix this... Hope to solve it tomorrow, gtg get a nap

Feb 17, 2018
Back, today I've tried to randomly set the ram in and slots a1 and b2 read the ram correctly in BIOS windows and cpu z... Just I get the start up message that I hVent put the ram in the correct slots.. And after flashing my BIOS las night my Ethernet connection is down..

Feb 17, 2018

Here is the img: https://imgur.com/a/yfI95
Curently I am using the slots a1 and b2,its shown as 16gb of ram now,but I dont think they work in dual channels ,bcz they should be a2-b2 by deafult... And I still get the mesage at start that i should use those slots (a2-b2) and to place my a1 ram stick to a2, can check on this pic. https://imgur.com/a/9tWEc

UPDATE:Seems I found the problem, my A2 slot is broken, I've tested stick in each slot,PC posts with ram in every slot beside the A2 slot, A1,B1,B2 work and post just fine.. I've inspected it with an flashlight and took few close pictures,couldnt spot any bend pins or dust/dirt in that slot, not sure what could cause that,but it happen randomly... MSI is sh*t ,cant wait to replace this board and never get anything from MSI ever again,just caused trouble since I bought it...

Feb 17, 2018

Yeh I belive i'll keep it, the seller told me if I return it it has to ship it to Hungary,so they inspect it,and there is a high chance that they say I have damaged it by software/oc or some 3rd crap... And i cant be without a mobo for 40+ day's,so gonna keep it...